full

6 Lockheed P-80A-5-LO Shooting Stars of the 33rd Fighter Group, Roswell, New Mexico 1948.

full

Lockheed P-80-A-1-LO Shooting Star piloted by Lawrence A. Clousing undergoing test flights for National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics (NACA), NASA's predecessor. July 7th, 1948. 44-85299

Thanks for the addition @Junglejim! Any back story or shot on the plane number? Phil must be an important dude getting his own air force :D

If my CSI image enhancement skills are accurate it looks like it MIGHT be this bird:

T-33A-1-LO 56-1728

1978: USAF 3rd TFW.
USAF 26th TFTS.
Transferred to the Philippine AF.
1988: 105th CCTS (5th FW).
From the Fb Page Pinoyaviators:

The T-33 “Shooting star” jet trainer aircraft of the Philippine Air Force (PAF) served the 5th Fighter Wing for 39 years under the 105th Combat Crew Training Squadron. It was in August 1955 when the PAF entered the jet age. Four T-33 Jet trainers were first acquired from the United States. The first four Pinoy Jet Pilots flew these T-33s from Japan to the Philippines. The durable T-33 Shooting Star was decommissioned in April of 1994.

I will try to get more picts of that aircraft in my first pict and the gate guard in that base, another T-33. If I remember correctly the one in the pict is complete but not certified to fly and is just in storage.

That's actually an F-89J "Scorpion" and not an F-80.

/edit: That #*%&@ link thing isn't working for me. For a second it showed up correctly just to revert back to the text link above. I give up!

/edit: That #*%&@ link thing isn't working for me. For a second it showed up correctly just to revert back to the text link above. I give up!

That is because the website you are trying to unfurl the link for does not support it or at least is not set up properly, it has nothing to do with this platform :)

@Bombardier you posted up one of my favorite pics of the Shooting Star in action. Also one of the more dynamic and intense pics of Korean War ground attack in action. Posting the high-res version of the one you shared.

full

A U.S. Air Force Lockheed F-80C Shooting Star drops napalm bombs in Korea, May 1952. Note what appears to be a tracer below the plane

This dramatic photo of a U.S. Air Force F-80 Shooting Star fighter-bomber has captured the action which occurred May 8 when day-long flights of Fifth Air Force warplanes blasted the Communist two-square mile supply center at Suan in the largest single air strike of the Korean conflict. The storage area, 35 miles southeast of Pyongyang, was smothered with more than 12,000 gallons of napalm dropped by the attacking planes. In this photo a tank of napalm can be seen just after being released. It is below the left wing of the jet. Target for the napalm is a supply building (below plane) and court-yard filled with loaded supply vehicles. Low-level attacks such as these (notice relationship of F-80 to smoke stack at right) makes for accuracy. It also makes it easier for enemy ground fire. Anti-aircraft fire, leaving a faint smoke trail, can be seen flying upward from a Communist sandbagged gun position on the small ridge in the turn of the road

Nieve question here but what was the history of this plane ? Was it an offshoot of German design , or a purely organic US design ?

Nieve question here but what was the history of this plane ? Was it an offshoot of German design , or a purely organic US design ?

The development of this plane started in 1943 already and the first prototype had it's maiden flight in January 1944. Therefore it's presumably not based on a German design.

Besides that German aircrafts never were that ugly looking! :cool:

@Marsch summed it up nicely minus his horrific opinion on the aesthetics of this fine aircraft. Also, I've been updating the OP with post by Smithsonian which gives a good overall history.
In the Cuatro Vientos museum, in Madrid, there is a Spanish t33 also:
@Mokordo thanks for the posts, good pics and saving the PDF now to peruse later.
And back on topic. Here's a faithful drawing of a T-33 used by the newly created West German air force.
Thanks for this addition @Fish&Chips, I always love that style of classic aircraft illustration.
Besides that German aircrafts never were that ugly looking!
@Marsch, reported for hate speech.

edited to add glad you are enjoying so far @Chazman

Last edited:
My own update before crashing after long work day.

full

Lockheed P-80B-1-LO Shooting Star in flight. Note the relaxed pilot sporting a stetson for flight helmet, also note the stylish wing tip fuel tanks :cool:

You call this ugly @Marsch!?

Back