Remembrance Bernard Cribbins 93 R.I.P

colin traveller

Mi Field Marshall
MI.Net Member
TAARB
Class act ...remember him from so many programs i watched back in the day ......

Taken from the Parachute Regiment FB Page

Bernard Cribbins OBE : Veteran actor and ex-paratrooper, star of The Railway Children, Doctor Who and voice of The Wombles, has sadly died aged 93.
Born in Oldham, Lancs in 1928, Cribbins volunteered for The Parachute Regiment in 1947 after call up for National Service. Completing his parachute training (Course 221B) at RAF Upper Heyford, he was posted to Palestine with 3 PARA in Azib and Haifa. Taking part in his battalion’s guard of honour for Field Marshal Montgomery Private Cribbins suffered a wound when a soldier accidentally stuck a bayonet through his hand; Monty insisted that Cribbins should fall out.
After moving to Germany, Cribbins was demobilised in 1949 and concentrated on his acting career in theatre and then film & television. Playing the part of Perks, the station porter in the movie The Railway Children with young actress Jenny Agutter, Cribbins embarked on a long career as a star of screen and stage. In 2011 at the age of 82, he was awarded the OBE for his services to drama.
A great supporter of his regiment and often photographed wearing his regimental tie, Bernard presented a cheque for £17,500 for the Regiment’s charity, Support Our Paras by organising a fly-fishing event in Sussex.
Mr. Cribbins said: “Once a paratrooper always a paratrooper. It is something that you chose to do and that means you have made a choice to become something special. I had been acting in repertory theatre before I joined the Army and that gave me discipline, but the Paras really cemented it in me. The discipline to make sure you play the part that other people are relying on you to do is the same in the Paras and in acting."
Lieutenant Colonel Bruce Radbourne, who was the Regimental Colonel said, “We would like to think that Mr Cribbins’ time with The Parachute Regiment gave him the determination, discipline and humility that he needed to go on and forge a varied and successful career in show business.”
From all of us at RHQ Para and the Parachute Regiment, we would like to convey our sincere condolences to Bernard’s family and friends – RIP Bernard Cribbins OBE.

bc1.jpg

Back