Firearms The United Kingdom's Military Rifle - The L85A1

LimaCharles

Mi Staff Sergeant
MI.Net Member
Interesting take on an American's opinion on the Brit service rifle. His channel can be a bit cringe at times but they're doing it for the clicks and because the younger kids love that stuff (gross). Mike Jones has already admitted how he hates social engineering yet it also provides a living. So take what's being said with a grain of salt.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Can we get a Brit's rebuttal here if they're wrong about something?

Fairly accurate, but the A1 was replaced in 02-03, and the A2 addressed all those issues.

The ergonomics of use.....well he was doing the reload drills wrong, but then he was never trained on it. I can get his points for sure, but after 30 years of using and maintaining it I never found it awkward, but thats probs because I was used to it.

Fairly accurate, but the A1 was replaced in 02-03, and the A2 addressed all those issues.

The ergonomics of use.....well he was doing the reload drills wrong, but then he was never trained on it. I can get his points for sure, but after 30 years of using and maintaining it I never found it awkward, but thats probs because I was used to it.
That's what I figured, it was a training issue.

Can you link me or the proper way to do a reload for the L85? Days ago I learned something interesting about my X95 Tavor. During tactical reload practice it doesn't fully seat the mags like an AR15 or M16 would. However if you rock it in my an AK, mags will seat definitely with a satisfying click.

That's what I figured, it was a training issue.

Can you link me or the proper way to do a reload for the L85? Days ago I learned something interesting about my X95 Tavor. During tactical reload practice it doesn't fully seat the mags like an AR15 or M16 would. However if you rock it in my an AK, mags will seat definitely with a satisfying click.

I'll see if I can find them on the internet, I'm out now so don't have access to the training pamphlets.

WRT mag seating, even on the A2 and A3 it always took a good push to get it to seat, it was easy when under pressure not to get them fully in. The loading drill includes a mag security check. It got easier when we transitioned from metal to polymer mags admittedly.

I always found it really accurate to shoot with, did I think it was any better than anything else I shot (M16/M4 families, AKs etc)....not really, I found every rifle had issues. I prefered the GPMG or 50 cal for fun!

I'll see if I can find them on the internet, I'm out now so don't have access to the training pamphlets.

WRT mag seating, even on the A2 and A3 it always took a good push to get it to seat, it was easy when under pressure not to get them fully in. The loading drill includes a mag security check. It got easier when we transitioned from metal to polymer mags admittedly.

I always found it really accurate to shoot with, did I think it was any better than anything else I shot (M16/M4 families, AKs etc)....not really, I found every rifle had issues. I prefered the GPMG or 50 cal for fun!
Ours is the push/pull method to ensure seating on the M4/AR15/M16. Push in, and then pull to ensure seating and if not secured to immediately slap upwards to prevent from falling.

What were the polymer mags? Magpul Pmags or Emags?

By GPMG you're referring to the FN Mag? If so, I've often said that our most accurate gun at the platoon levels were the FN M240's.
And I appreciate the impartial info from the other side, our gun culture here in the states can be a bit thick headed without much critical thinking and too "merica F yeah stupid at times.

Ours is the push/pull method to ensure seating on the M4/AR15/M16. Push in, and then pull to ensure seating and if not secured to immediately slap upwards to prevent from falling.

What were the polymer mags? Magpul Pmags or Emags?

By GPMG you're referring to the FN Mag? If so, I've often said that our most accurate gun at the platoon levels were the FN M240's.
And I appreciate the impartial info from the other side, our gun culture here in the states can be a bit thick headed without much critical thinking and too "merica F yeah stupid at times.

Similar, push in and try to pull out. No slapping if it come loose reseat and insert harder.

Emags is what we were issued.

And correct FN Mag, GPMG is UK service. Fukker to clean!

Similar, push in and try to pull out. No slapping if it come loose reseat and insert harder.

Emags is what we were issued.

And correct FN Mag, GPMG is UK service. Fukker to clean!
I really should have bought some Emags when they used to be available over here until Magpul discontinued them. Cheers mate.