Politics Sinn Féin wins in Northern Ireland

Redav

Mi Field Marshall
MI.Net Member
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

What are the leanings of the other parties ?
  • DUP, Democratic Unionist Party: conservative to right-wing UK loyalist party
  • Alliance: centre/centre left and apparently somewhat neutral on the loyalism vs. Irish nationalism question
  • Ulster Unionist Party: The name says it all, conservative with a "keep the UK united" agenda.
  • SDLP, Social Democratic and Labour Party: supports Irish unification but it has become rather insignificant compared to Sinn Fein
  • GAT, Traditional Unionist Voice: conservative to right-wing UK unionism

• DUP, Democratic Unionist Party: conservative to right-wing UK loyalist party
  • Alliance: centre/centre left and apparently somewhat neutral on the loyalism vs. Irish nationalism question
  • Ulster Unionist Party: The name says it all, conservative with a "keep the UK united" agenda.
  • SDLP, Social Democratic and Labour Party: supports Irish unification but it has become rather insignificant compared to Sinn Fein
  • GAT, Traditional Unionist Voice: conservative to right-wing UK unionism
So in terms of Unification/Unionism, and supposing Alliance remains in the "whatever" zone on this issue, Unionists still are the majority even though the SF came ahead? The "next historic phase" might be tricky to navigate through then.

Ulster Unionists have no seats, with no representation in the House of Commons.

They benefited from a small increase in votes shares back in 2019, but still in a strong and persistent decline.

So in terms of Unification/Unionism, and supposing Alliance remains in the "whatever" zone on this issue, Unionists still are the majority even though the SF came ahead? The "next historic phase" might be tricky to navigate through then.
The main parties have become less extreme in their views and along with the communities they represent have become much more accepting of each other. In some aspects Sinn Fein have become quite "woke" meaning they are actually anti-Irish ;-)
Some people want to see a United Ireland, personally I DON'T if it's going to disenfranchise one community for little tangible gain.
OK right now we are having a (relatively) gay old time with strong economic return post Covid, but that can't be counted on for ever, and we still p1ss away money on maniacal projects like the worlds most expensive building, the National Childrens hospital , 3 billion to build a new hospital in the completely wrong place (the grounds of the old hospital, well inside the Dublin city with terrible access for locals never mind nationally.)
If I was a Unionist thinking of where I want to hang my hat in the coming years looking at a "bunch of paddies" with money burning a hole in their pocket wouldn't inspire confidence.

The main parties have become less extreme in their views and along with the communities they represent have become much more accepting of each other. In some aspects Sinn Fein have become quite "woke" meaning they are actually anti-Irish ;-)
Some people want to see a United Ireland, personally I DON'T if it's going to disenfranchise one community for little tangible gain.
OK right now we are having a (relatively) gay old time with strong economic return post Covid, but that can't be counted on for ever, and we still p1ss away money on maniacal projects like the worlds most expensive building, the National Childrens hospital , 3 billion to build a new hospital in the completely wrong place (the grounds of the old hospital, well inside the Dublin city with terrible access for locals never mind nationally.)
If I was a Unionist thinking of where I want to hang my hat in the coming years looking at a "bunch of paddies" with money burning a hole in their pocket wouldn't inspire confidence.
Ireland is 'recently' rich. At the same time all the stuff the brits built is aging, or now too small for what basically Dublin has become. If it helps UK has a couple of these hospitals, also tied in with 100 year contracts which means to change a lightbulb costs 10K......

But building 'in' Dublin is dumb, should have given the site to a housing developer, and had them build a new hospital out of town, on some field, in exchange.

From a UK mainland view, if the republic wants it they can have it. Politically Boris will have to fight for the Union, because the SinnFein dont take their seats in UK parliament, but the union parties do, and mostly follow the conservatives, so removing them both gives a net loss to the conservatives. Plus if NI left, then Scotland would push to go. Again personally they can both go, but I think both countries, and to a large degree Ireland do and would rely on England for defence, which isnt very 'fair', especially in todays world.

I dont think the jocks are that stupid. As to the people in NI, who knows. Also if there is a vote, do the irish republic get to vote if they want a united ireland?

I'll never understand why the leavers didn't do more campaigning in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Especially in Northern Ireland, where their nonchalant attitude with regard to the Good Friday Agreement seems to have a struck a raw nerve early on. Brexit mainly being a wish of the English, it had the potential of illustrating to the other countries in the Kingdom how little they meant to London.

In all fairness, the First Minister means a bit more than some lowly mayor. Especially given Northern Ireland's more recent history.

In all fairness, the First Minister means a bit more than some lowly mayor. Especially given Northern Ireland's more recent history.
I think 'its complicated' covers most of it.

Dont forget that all these countries have 2 layers of government, they elect PM's to go to westminster, and they elect local i.e. the scottish parliament, then in addition they will have truly local level, i.e. the town planning and bin emptying level......

England doesnt have that middle layer. And frankly if we need politicians to get the bins emptied, there is something very wrong with the world......

I'd suggest the regional parliaments give a veneer of self control. The budgets are set by westminster, i.e. the conservatives. And all 3 of the small countries have had a good share of questionable decisions, i.e. ferries, and their management of health has not been very good, long waiting lists and a few 'coverups' possibly because they dont get the level of scrutiny that westminster gets from the press etc.

The first female Nobel prize was for local govt is supposed to be more efficient for managing resources. Yet they still manage to Biden it up.
They turned our four lane main rd through town in to a two lane with angle parking in the other two.
Now its jammed up during low traffic low and you can't back out of the parking to drive away.
So there was a reason why original town planners created four lanes when locals still road a horse.

Its universal. Actually its like dancing with the stars. All the good dancers are sent home early and only the crowd favorites, the popular ones with "persona" got on to win. Usually retired sports star. Previous winner is in jail.
We don't select enough for aptitude, its too much about popularity.
I suppose its no wonder the establishment rejoices when we manage to elect a technocrat to fix the previous excesses.

I like the that his nickname is bongbong. Classic.

However. My favourite Filipino politician is still Senator Pacquiao.

Make up your own mind.

Difference between pro and Ryan Dunn.

Last edited:
She is Guillotine choking a dude.

Back