Memories Popeye's Sea Stories

Subic and Olongapo were 2 of the many places in my first 6 month deployment "up top" in 1975 as a brash 19 y/o sailor, those times will NEVER been seen again as you say old mate ;)notworthy;

You got that right my Aussie shipmate! So right indeed!

Olongopo cannot be fully explained. It was unbelievable.:eek:o_OYou had to be there.;)

Real wild west huh?

It was past that. I know when I first went to the PI in 1973 many men everywhere you went where armed with .45s and .38s. The place was wide open . Almost anything went. Olongopo was a sexual Disneyland. I'll leave it at that. read this;

Last edited:
Car Wizard is one of my favorite car guys on youtube. He brought back some memories for me today!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

When I was stationed in the Philippines in '75 to '77 our shop had two J-20 Jeep pick ups. I think they were 1974 models. The main issues we had with these two pickups was VAPOR LOCK! Those carburetors did not fair well with the daily temp reaching 90+F(32C) everyday! The vapor lock occurred when the trucks set for a long time in that Philippines sun. Funny thing is we had '69 Chevy pick-ups with 250 six bangers and we had very few issues with those Chevy trucks.

Car Wizard is one of my favorite car guys on youtube. He brought back some memories for me today!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

When I was stationed in the Philippines in '75 to '77 our shop had two J-20 Jeep pick ups. I think they were 1974 models. The main issues we had with these two pickups was VAPOR LOCK! Those carburetors did not fair well with the daily temp reaching 90+F(32C) everyday! The vapor lock occurred when the trucks set for a long time in that Philippines sun. Funny thing is we had '69 Chevy pick-ups with 250 six bangers and we had very few issues with those Chevy trucks.

We had same vapor lock problems with toyota land-cruisers in north western Australia with temperature over 45+c, solved by feeding petrol directly to carburetor, were lucky not to blow things up. Eventually changed to diesel vehicles. Old volvo were even worse.

Back