Photos Japanese Ohka suicide bomber

NebrHogger

Mi General
MI.Net Member
United-States
Found a few pics not already posted here that I can find.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yokosuka_MXY-7_Ohka

m5.jpg

G4M "Betty" Ohka delivery system
m6.jpg

m7.jpg

Training Ohka with landing skid. Water ballast was used to simulate explosive nose
m8.jpg

Captured intact
m9.jpg

Rudimentary cockpit layout. Nothing but the basics for a one way trip.
m10.jpg

Explosive warhead
m11.jpg

Nozzles for the solid fuel rocket motors
m12.jpg

Ohka model 22 with experimental rocket motor. None saw actual use
m13.jpg

Ohka diagram showing how basic it was. "Baka" means stupid or similar concept in Japanese.
m14.jpg

Ohka two seat trainers
m15.jpg

Given the situation, I would have favoured preparing for the inevitable american invasion, so small arms, big mines buried on all the beaches, mortars, nebelwefers, tunnels, suicide boats maybe more useful? I mean given say six months, you could have made it truly horrific for the invading force.

Given the situation, I would have favoured preparing for the inevitable american invasion, so small arms, big mines buried on all the beaches, mortars, nebelwefers, tunnels, suicide boats maybe more useful? I mean given say six months, you could have made it truly horrific for the invading force.
Couldn't see what was coming though - a nice mushroom or two - but thankfully gave up before they did Tokyo

Couldn't see what was coming though - a nice mushroom or two - but thankfully gave up before they did Tokyo
Must have been one hell of an about-face for them, 'Hiroshima is gone' ok, back to work on bigger suicide aircraft.....Nagasaki is gone......ok......er....we better surrender....

Must have been one hell of an about-face for them, 'Hiroshima is gone' ok, back to work on bigger suicide aircraft.....Nagasaki is gone......ok......er....we better surrender....
Jerman's shipped a lot of technology and plans to Japan near the end of the war - just did not buy them enough time thankfully

I would suspect that Tokyo would have been next on the list (19th August) - at least they didn't drop one on Kyoto

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Crucial role of Soviet Union to end the war is often forgotten.
I think this is why the US could not win the Vietnam War as they relied on their modern weapons too much.
No Russia, no victory in Asia. This was a lesson for the Japanese war leaders.

Crucial role of Soviet Union to end the war is often forgotten.
I think this is why the US could not win the Vietnam War as they relied on their modern weapons too much.
No Russia, no victory in Asia. This was a lesson for the Japanese war leaders.
I’d think most Americans, and brits etc, would disagree regarding the jumble of points you make.

No-one denies the Russians took the brunt of the war with the Nazis , but us bombing and the island hopping navy/marines/army, then the nukes defeated Japan.

Lots of lessons in Vietnam, which our us crew could discuss, but the us limited their destructiveness, and area of operation, so as to not create ww3. Russia has not been so constrained in its approach to its own, or others casualties etc.

This was a common opinion in the postwar Japan - If Soviet Union had not declared war against Japan, the war would have continued for more 2 or 3 years as the Japanese leaders understood the casualty in Hiroshima was almost same as that of Tokyo Air Raid on March 10. Japanese total war casualties as of August 15 was almost 3 millions. It occupied almost 4% of the Japanese population and they were prepared for the homeland battle with preserved food and weapon, and fuel. Besides, Manchukuo would have been intact if no soviet invasion.

Prior to the Vietnam War, we should remember that there was one more similar war between Chiang Kai-shek and Mao Tse-tung in China.
Chiang was fully supported by the US and Mao by Russia. Result was same as Vietnam.

Last edited: