Book What are you reading?

DEAD MEN RISEN

By Toby Harnden

This is the gripping story of the men of the Welsh Guards and their bloody battle for survival in Afghanistan in 2009. Underequipped and overstretched, they found themselves in the most intense fighting the British had experienced in a generation. They were led into battle by Lieutenant Colonel Rupert Thorneloe, a passionate believer in the justness of the war who was deeply dismayed by the way it was being resourced and conducted. Thorneloe was killed by an IED during Operation Panther’s Claw, the biggest operation mounted by the British in Helmand.

Dead Men Risen draws on secret documents written by Thorneloe, which raise questions from beyond the grave that will unnerve politicians and generals alike. The Welsh Guards also lost Major Sean Birchall, commanding officer of IX Company, and Lieutenant Mark Evison, a platoon commander whose candid personal diary was unnervingly prophetic. Not since the Korean War had a single British battalion lost officers at the three key levels of leadership.

Harnden transports the reader into the heart of a conflict in which a soldier has to be prepared to kill and die, to ward off paralysing fear and watch comrades perish in agony. Given unprecedented access to the Welsh Guards, Harnden conducted hundreds of interviews in Afghanistan, England and Wales. He weaves the experiences of the guardsmen and the loved ones they left behind into a seamless and unsparing narrative that sits alongside a piercing analysis of the political and military strategy. No other book about modern warfare succeeds on so many levels.
1615794968995.png

Fantastic book, fantastic story. The book reads like a Neal Stephenson novel - an eccentric billionaire assembling a ragtag team of brilliant individuals to do the impossible, the adventures, the exotic locations and heart-stopping drama. I was more or less familiar with the story from the Ashley Vance's Elon Musk biography, but reading about it in detail was a whole different experience. Highly, highly recommended.

I'm trying to build up the courage to re-read "Blood Meridian" by Cormac McCarthy. It's been ten or twelve years and I enjoyed it but I remember it being really hard work - anyone who's read it recently have words of encouragement for me?

I've also got Cuckoo Calling under her pseudonym Robert Galbraith lined up on my kindle, just haven't got around to reading it. Along with about 40 other books piled up around the house...

received_2611904202213798.jpg

received_376904436238505.jpg

received_812149889162010.jpg
Nice pile you have there.

2 years on, most are still in the to read piles around the house... Covid did have me away from home for 9 months last year though. So that's an excuse.

Treasure of the Sierra Madre, by B. Traven.

The book is brutal. Next, I need to go watch the movie with Humphrey Bogart. I don't think I ever watched the whole movie when I was growing up.

Currently reading the All-Time Favourite Australian Song Book.

"Out on the board the old shearer stands...
It's lonesome away from your kindred and all...
Up there Cazaly...
My Mabel waits for me...

These words drew me to read, it sings songs that I would've at a glance dismissed as mere children dancing with words, but through every song a history unveils a people whom imprisoned, if judged at these times for crimes that were justified through survival, songs of hope for the smallest of chances, to overcome their despair and the tyrants that reigned over them.

"Protector" by Conn Iggulden
2nd in the "Athenian" series.
Themistocles stands as an archon of Athens: the might of the city is his to command. Yet he is no nobleman, distrusted by many for his modest birthright.
For his presumption.
But those who stand against him cannot argue with two things: his victories as a warrior and the vast Persian force heading their way.
And so Themistocles must fight. To survive the game of politics, to make his name, he must prove himself again and again in battle. On the sea. On land. In the arena of public opinion.
His enemies are legion, his allies do not trust him and the Persians would corrupt him - but history belongs to the courageous . . .
9780241420430.jpg

One of my favourite authors, never disappoints (Y)

Termination Shock: A Novel by Neil Stephenson

Loved it. My Amazon review:
One of the NS' best. Reminded Cryptonomicon a lot - more or less loosely connected bunch of fascinating characters are involved in a world-spanning adventure, this time centered around geoengineering.

Harrier 809, 2020

It's basically the story of the reformation of the 809 Naval Air Squadron, directly after the lightening deployment of HMS Hermes and HMS Invincible for the Falklands. They were able to piece together 14 Harriers sent on a container ship, to complement the 8 on Invincible, and 12 on Hermes. Highly recommended!

Last edited:
Kursk will be an excellent primer for what is about to happen in Ukraine no doubt....

Kursk will be an excellent primer for what is about to happen in Ukraine no doubt....

The interesting thing about the book is it's been written by a (formerly Eastern) German historian. You could say the book's a bit light in the "Barbarossa strategic context" department I'm more used to, but it more than compensates that in terms of presenting a fluid vision of the ebbs and flows of the battle.

As for the Bad Things to Come, it's time to dust off every Coyle/Bond/Peters/Harris thriller that still haunts our bookshelves...

Uhhh,,, Super book...The little drummer girl... I read it twice a year. The TV series based on it is also well done, although some things are ... too 21st century.. ( The interrogation, the character of Rose...

Oddly enough, given the fact it's been around for the past 40 years or so of my life, this is the one Le Carré novel I had never chanced upon. Thank the Lord for used books sales!

Back