Other Post The Computer Clinic

Not really the thread for this question but doesn't warrant its own. Anyone have a recommendation for a cheap streaming device I can plug into a TV - wanted only for Netflix and Amazon video. Just curious if anyone has experience of benefits of a Chromcast over a Firestick or other option or vice versa...

We've tried a gen 1 Firestick, gen 1 Chromecast, gen 2 Apple TV, iPad, Windows client, and Android client..... Don't remember much about the Chromecast, other than it was a little light on the features. That was about five years ago though!

Got sick of the Apple TV choking on Netflix, sold it for 15 USD to a guy who found it perfectly wonderful for some sort of 720p streaming he does.

Got a new Firestick 4K about a month ago and it is really nice for TV watching.... Got it for an insanely low price of 24.99 USD just after New Year's. I think the standard one (non 4K but latest 1080p version) is nice too, but it doesn't have quite as fast a processor and the remote for the 4K one has volume button. We don't actually stream 4K on the Firestick 4K as we only have a 1080p TV.

When I can't be convinced to turn on the TV or go into that room, i just use my iPad for Amazon Prime watching. Yes... it is a bother these days to have to turn on the TV... :)

Several friends swear by their Rokus. One has a Roku built into his TV. Another has the external one.

Last edited:
Not really the thread for this question but doesn't warrant its own. Anyone have a recommendation for a cheap streaming device I can plug into a TV - wanted only for Netflix and Amazon video. Just curious if anyone has experience of benefits of a Chromcast over a Firestick or other option or vice versa...
Chromecasts are really good fun you can actually write your own code for them - I tend to use it when I want to cast one of the laptops onto the 65" LG tv we have - I only have the mark 1's as Tesco had a stupid black Friday deal on them @£9.99 each

We also have a couple of Kodi boxes as well - they are quite fun for £25 - just look for the fastest processor and latest version of android - make sure you get a tiny wireless keyboard with them as well

Not used a Firestick but I understand they are equally good

I'd like to delete the whole thing which seems to have bing attached. I don't think I need two search engines. I looked it up on google and saw the drill - I just need to take my time and run through the process... and not mess anything up in the process.
The Google vs Bing thing is quite interesting - on odd occasions when I am looking for things Google won't give me a search return - however Bing will

Interesting!

We have two roku sticks and a Chromecast. The Chromecast gets little use except during American college football season so we can watch the Iowa Hawkeyes. We don't have cable. We stream on netflix, hulu, amazon prime. We share amazon prime with my son in San Diego.

I don't this this link below will work outside of the US. In the US you can get 83 cable channels. No foolin'. Honestly we only use it now and then..and mostly for Iowa Hawkeyes football. Give it a shot. It works for us! If you are outside of the US you need a VPN to get it to work..allegedly..:rolleyes:

Interesting!

We have two roku sticks and a Chromecast. The Chromecast gets little use except during American college football season so we can watch the Iowa Hawkeyes. We don't have cable. We stream on netflix, hulu, amazon prime. We share amazon prime with my son in San Diego.

I don't this this link below will work outside of the US. In the US you can get 83 cable channels. No foolin'. Honestly we only use it now and then..and mostly for Iowa Hawkeyes football. Give it a shot. It works for us! If you are outside of the US you need a VPN to get it to work..allegedly..:rolleyes:

The link works fine for me here in Oz thanks @bdpopeye , no VPN needed (Y)

Thanks for the suggestions and advice everyone, regarding the streaming. It turns out my brother has a roku that's not currently being used so he's giving me that.

Sure, sure, it for netflix/amazon video. Definately not kodi and streaming the Fury/Wilder fight.... :)

Sure, sure, it for netflix/amazon video. Definately not kodi and streaming the Fury/Wilder fight.... :)

Haha! It's odd that you mention that. I genuinely don't have any interest in boxing, but am considering shelling out the twenty odd quid for the pay per view. The main reason I won't is that I know the chances of me staying awake for it are really, really slim.

Haha! It's odd that you mention that. I genuinely don't have any interest in boxing, but am considering shelling out the twenty odd quid for the pay per view. The main reason I won't is that I know the chances of me staying awake for it are really, really slim.

I'll watch highlights in the morning. No way I'm staying up till 4am!

The Homeworld remaster done by Gearbox turned out to be an absolute pile of shyte. I was very let down by that.

PC Speakers ,,, Currently i have RT Works 5 Speaker lacks oomph looking to replace ...

What do you consider as top drawer for the money ???

Buy a second hand 5.1 or 7.1 stereo on Evilbay and output your sound via HDMI to it. Works very nicely for me. I have a Panasonic 5.1 Receiver that makes very nice explosion noises.

@colin traveller

I have a pair of M-Audio AV32, but i only use them during the day, at night i use headphones some older ATH-TAD400 and a Fiio E10k DAC.
A solution with an amp-DAC is the way if you are looking for more power, or some kind of sound card like Creative AE series that go for about 150$.
Also mentioning a budget would help people recommending you stuff.

@colin traveller

I have a pair of M-Audio AV32, but i only use them during the day, at night i use headphones some older ATH-TAD400 and a Fiio E10k DAC.
A solution with an amp-DAC is the way if you are looking for more power, or some kind of sound card like Creative AE series that go for about 150$.
Also mentioning a budget would help people recommending you stuff.

150 there abouts

Pick one. I went top shelf on Logitechs 10 years ago and they are still mint.

Back