Photos Falklands War Photos

Note the captured FALs mixed in with the L1A1 SLRs ?‍☠️
Love it mate! I was about to post the same thing!!! HA!
flag-of-uk.gif

I always wondered did they bring any quantity of MAG58 GPMG or FALs back at all?? Argentina had some decent weapon kit as I recall??

June 25th: Sir Rex Hunt returns to the Falklands. Here's him and wife Mavis back in Stanley, looking over the damage left from the war. Rex Hunt was to be knighted for his work with the Falkland Islanders and soon put in recommendations for many civil awards to Falkland Islanders.
E4uaGtJXEAUM70y?format=jpg&name=medium.jpg

Its a photograph - it appeared in Cedric Delves (OC D Sqn 22 SAS at the time) memoire on the tour.

Not the best book on any aspect of any of the operations covered (IMHO) as it rather glosses over the background to some of the monumental screw-ups involved...

No, its Grytviken.

Just realised what you meant - yep Fortuna was one of them. Cost the Task Force two vital helos (and nearly their crews) for something that the Landing Force Commander (Maj Sheridan), a combat vet from Dhofar and a Mountain Leader/ experienced civilian mountaineer with experience from South Georgia warned against. The Cortley Ridge raid was similarly ill advised.

I don't have a personal problem with Delves, I worked for him when he was CJSOTF in Bosnia, but all I will say is that he was a pig headed SOB and the SAS's mountain troops have come a VERY long way since 1982.

Back when I was a kid, my local library had a copy of this - https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/1205373316 - and I checked it out a lot when I was young and fascinated by such books (And yes, I think it explains the Paraquet/Paraquat thing).
Covers the whole thing from the Argentine invasion and the local Marines beating the S**t out of the Guerrico with - I think - a Bren gun and a Carl Gustav (As well as the senior RM NCO taking aim at the bridge with an L42), to the Argentines taking the Marines prisoner and being scared s**tless when they found one guy had some fire-axes stashed about his person, to the attack on the Santa Fe (First ever attack on a submarine entirely carried out by helicopter) to the eventual retaking of the Island.

Can't speak for the accuracy of the book but was fascinated by it as a teenager - probably not worth spending 94 quid on though!

Splash Aston - who was one of the Mountain Troop trogs on Fortuna, and also survived the later Sea King crash - has put out a rather more candid account of D Sqn's camaign

Its definitely not Fanning Head.

Several reasons:

I've been to Fanning Head and it looks nothing like that.
The SBS/148 Battery guys on the ground for Fanning Head wore white mine tape around their heads (to reduce the risk of the Paras shooting themn once they landed). There are pictures out there of them in daylight post landings with the mine tape still in place (probably from Hugh McManners or one of his team).
There was no mortar team ashore beyond the beachhead at that time.

That looks like it could be from SAS: Sea King down, which is a great read. The SAS took a mortar up Mt Kent, among other places, and flew in a Wessex, so maybe?

The mortar team are all wearing the old reversible white/od waterproofs that were made for Norway.

Although they were certainly used by SF and Para Reg, the fact that they're all wearing the same thing suggests to me that they're Royal Marines. There are pics of the D Sqn HQ element on Mount Kent (the SAS guys there with the 81mm mortar), including in the book you mention, and they don't look like that.

From the Imperial War Museum -

A Royal Navy Westland Wessex HU.5 (XT755) of 'B' Flight, 847 Naval Air Squadron delivers mortar ammunition to the front line during mountain battles above Port Stanley.

Also a colour version of it for anyone interested - https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205190432

EDIT - it's actually a slightly different photo, but was taken at the same time.

From Googling around, 3 Commando Brigade set up a forward operating base at Teal Inlet - possibly taken there?

The mortar team are all wearing the old reversible white/od waterproofs that were made for Norway.

Although they were certainly used by SF and Para Reg, the fact that they're all wearing the same thing suggests to me that they're Royal Marines. There are pics of the D Sqn HQ element on Mount Kent (the SAS guys there with the 81mm mortar), including in the book you mention, and they don't look like that.
Well spotted, that man!
From the Imperial War Museum -

A Royal Navy Westland Wessex HU.5 (XT755) of 'B' Flight, 847 Naval Air Squadron delivers mortar ammunition to the front line during mountain battles above Port Stanley.

Also a colour version of it for anyone interested - https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205190432

EDIT - it's actually a slightly different photo, but was taken at the same time.
Great link, thank you. Bookmarked now!