Movie / TV Do you like "Fury"?

But very entertaining. When was the last time you saw a real Tiger in motion? I read the fresh dirt was purposely added as a way to protect the Tiger from damage during filming.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
131 very nice indeed - had a crawl all over it about 30 years ago - I have an original Tiger users manual somewhere

Personally, I liked the movie. Not because the general story line was that good but I connected to the sub story of the young lad with no experience now finding himself among seasoned war fighters who were clearly suffering from the Toll of war. As far as one tank holding off that many SS, doubt it but what do I know :)

PS watched it 3 times now :p

I don't think there's such a thing as a realistic war movie. I watched part of it once - I'll probably never watch it all.

Personally, I liked the movie. Not because the general story line was that good but I connected to the sub story of the young lad with no experience now finding himself among seasoned war fighters who were clearly suffering from the Toll of war. As far as one tank holding off that many SS, doubt it but what do I know :)

PS watched it 3 times now :p

Yes, that was an interesting part of the story line. The crew who had been in almost constant action for years together, now having the dynamic of this innocent kid as a replacement for their dead comrade.

I don't think there's such a thing as a realistic war movie. I watched part of it once - I'll probably never watch it all.

What I have found is, if you can't suspend your rivet counting, you'll never enjoy a war movie. I've been getting better at that in the past few years. :)

The equipment they showed was top notch. But the rest was incredibly unrealistic. For me it’s by far the worst war movie I ever saw

But........if we are going to count rivets.........unlike the low velocity 75 mm gun, the high velocity 76 mm, didn't need a rear shot to take out a Tiger.

The equipment they showed was top notch. But the rest was incredibly unrealistic. For me it’s by far the worst war movie I ever saw

If memory serves a guy called Bruce Crompton supplied most of the equipment for that film . Had his own show on quest below which ran for a few series .

Though a little cheesy some of the gear you saw on that show was truly jaw dropping ( he'd visit other traders around Europe to show you what they had ) . Some real one of a kind stuff , Hitler's 1920s prison door being a stand out .

I was listening to this podcast a few days ago. This is one part that made me think. There are movies more realistic than others, but a realistic movie is boring and there are none.
Once I read a German veteran's review of 'The Hurt Locker' which he described as his favourite war movie. I know many veterans don't like it; it portrays American soldiers as reckless, playing loose with the rules and committing war crimes; but that guy wrote something interesting about the flick.

Tonally, he thought, 'The Hurt Locker' got it better than anything else: portraying a soldier's life as oscillating between anxiety and boredom, and war from the individual's perspective as a sequence of events strung together in a seemingly senseless fashion.

He also liked the movie's portrayal of the conflict in the hearts and minds of those who take up an extremely dangerous and unsettling profession not because but despite the fact it is extremely dangerous and unsettling – much like a fire fighter isn't motivated by a desire to see charred corpses but by the thrill and gratification of saving people from that very fate.

At any rate, I personally think audiences are smarter and more eager to try out new concepts than Hollywood gives them credit for. Documentaries like 'Restrepo' or 'Amardillo' had no business gathering a following and interest, yet still they did. Which suggests to me there is an audience for realism.

But even successful instances of realistic filmmaking hardly ever spawn a trend for some reason. Even if it's just elements within a film. For example, why haven't movie shootouts gotten more realistic since 1995's 'Heat'? Every action movie or thriller with a shootout since has been compared to that infamous scene in the streets of L.A. yet still the studios don't seem interested in upping the ante.

Even people who've never held a gun in their life before can now be observed rolling their eyes at the image of a car door providing effective cover from an assault rifle.

I thought Saints and Soldiers was pretty decent. I fell asleep watching Fury, I will try to give it a go another day.

I was just happy to see some tanks on the screen, to be honest... Is it a "great war movie?" No, but then there's a tiny number that count for that. Sometimes I just wanna turn off the brain and be entertained with some military-ish stuff on screen. It's a popcorn movie for sure. But....tanks! I was entertained enough to be happy.

Back