Question? Very Basic Rank Questions

averow45

Mi Recruit
MI.Net Member
Thank you for this wonderful site. I need answers to a couple of very basic questions: I am the son of two USN veterans. My mother was a WAVE, the ladies who got drafted out of college in WWII in the USA to help out with logistics, transport, etc.

My father, like so many men of that era, immediately enlisted after Pearl Harbor at the age of 18 into the USN. Unlike most of his cadre, he stayed in after WWII and remained in until the late 1960's. He retired as a Corpsman.

What I cannot figure out was what their ranks would have been. I believe my mother would not have advanced very far, being in for only four years.

My father however advanced very far, but did not cross the line into warrant officer territory. How woud l describe his rank to associates ? Would it be described as a Master Chief ? I understand that there is a rank described as "Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy" , but apparently that only applies to one person at a time in the whole USN.

Many thanks in advance for any thoughts. Both parents passed away many years ago and were very modest in their discussions of their experiences. Cheers ! ;)

Hi averow45 and welcome to the site.

Sorry I can't help you as I live in UK, but I'm sure one of your fellow country men will be along soon to help.

Silky

Last edited by a moderator:
My father, like so many men of that era, immediately enlisted after Pearl Harbor at the age of 18 into the USN. Unlike most of his cadre, he stayed in after WWII and remained in until the late 1960's. He retired as a Corpsman.

What I cannot figure out was what their ranks would have been. I believe my mother would not have advanced very far, being in for only four years.

My father however advanced very far, but did not cross the line into warrant officer territory. How woud l describe his rank to associates ? Would it be described as a Master Chief ? I understand that there is a rank described as "Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy" , but apparently that only applies to one person at a time in the whole USN.

Many thanks in advance for any thoughts. Both parents passed away many years ago and were very modest in their discussions of their experiences. Cheers ! ;)

My husband Jim was also in the USN, he says that your father was most likely a Chief Petty Officer, otherwise known as E7 - the designator would have been HMC - Hospitalman Chief.