Article The Horseshoe

This map shows an area west of Quang Ngai that was always a hotspot, nicknamed the Horseshoe. Charley wanted to control the area because if he could call it home, it was the last haven before they were under the artillery fans on the way to Quang Ngai, Mo Duc and points east.

map-Horseshoe 01.jpg

This is a picture of the Horseshoe area. The high terrain always presented a problem.

SONTRAKHUCRIVER4 02.jpg

One fine day a Dolphin aircraft from the 174th AHC was flying C in C for the 3/1 Inf Bn when they spotted a carrying party leaving the area headed for Hill 411. Dropping down to investigate, the entire village erupted in gunfire crippling the aircraft. The pilot did a textbook 180 rotation onto the sandbar in the middle of the river where they started taking ground fire from both sides of the river. Because of the high ground surrounding the area, the crew were unable to raise any one on the emergency radio. Finally they connected with a C-135 who alerted the company. Two light fire teams of Sharks (4 aircraft total) responded, two aircraft working each side of the river. When asked to pinpoint the location of the bad guys, the Shark pilots received all kinds of advice, none of it helpful. Finally, they just said, “I’ll bet it’s the guys shooting at us, right?” The fight wore down to just door guns at low level, kind of a high pucker factor sort of operation. When the main guns are not being used, a pilot has nothing to do - so they take pictures. The reason there is not more combat footage available is because it becomes a low priority when you are getting shot at. J.C. Pennington, the unoccupied pilot of one of the Sharks took these shots more to control his nerves then anything else.

DolphinDown 03.jpg

This is an interesting picture. The smart people are in shallow holes dug in the sand because they are taking fire from both sides of the river and have twice driven back VC trying to approach from the ville. The "John Wayne" wannabe is actually trying to remove a radio from the nose of the aircraft. Aviation types usually arrive at a fight in a big green machine with all the stealth of the Macy Day Parade, so the concept of "cover" is somewhat foreign to us.

The fight degenerated into the doorgunners throwing WP grenades and then shooting anyone trying to get away.

Horseshoe2 004.jpg

A Shark cruising along the smoke looking for victims. This is not the safest thing for a gunship to do. The sandbar can be seen in the smoke on the left of the picture.

Horseshoe1 05.jpg

A Shark on the other side of the river.

Horseshoe3 06.jpg

The downed slick can just barely be seen on the sandbar just to left of center. Finally a platoon was airlifted out from Bronco to keep Charley quiet while the aircraft was recovered. One gunship took a hit in the hydraulics and limped away to Quang Ngai.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great pics, RW! When were they taken? The 101st moved up that way after I left them in JUN67. They were still in the Duc Pho/Song Ve area when I left. I stayed in touch with a couple guys after I left. They told me they had moved up by Chu Lai. My company, C, 2/502, took a couple hard hits up that way. This eventually became an Americal Division AO when they formed them up.

Hey Frisco, the pictures were taken in early 69. The picture of the river area was taken in 70 or 71 by an adviser stationed at Ha Thanh. If I remember right, you continue up river past the Old French Fort and you come to what we called the fishhook. Were you there when 101st arty shot down the Caribou at Ha Thanh?

RW

The 101st was long gone from the area by then and I was a long gone civilian.

I don't remember hearing about the caribou incident, but then my Sp/4 grunt butt was left out of the loop on a lot stuff solaf. When did it occur? I'm guessing not. I think we were further south when I was still there. Friendly fire incidents suck.

I don't know when this happened, probably in 69, I would have to research it. The battery commander did not get the cease fire order.

C-7Caribou.jpg

The same guy that took the second picture above said that the carcass was still there in 70-71. He also has some interesting pictures of the old French Fort.

RW

rotorwash
Sir,
did you ever fly across the fence into Cambodia and Laos?

In Jan 67 the only aviation not organic to a division was our battalion based at Lane near Qui Nhon. With three AHC's we supported all Army activities in northern II Corps and I Corps. In Feb, 67 we supported the 101 at Phan Thiet, SF out of Nha Trang and points north and the Koreans at Phan Rang, Tuy Hoa and Qui Nhon. One of our companies, the 161st had a responsibility at Pleiku to support cross border activities. At that time the majority of cross border stuff was handled by the incredibly capable VNAF Kingbees flying H-34's that had better high altitude performance then our D Model Hueys. We did provide gunship support on occasion. I flew a couple of missions as medivac chase ship.

Our third company, the 282cnd operated out of Da Nang and we actually flew into NVN in those early days before Charley got testy and put more guns up there. They did some crossborder work, but once again it was handled by the Kingbees. The Marines had a gunship unit that flew E models that had better altitude performance then our C Model gunships because they carried a whole lot less armament and ammunition then we did. They provided the gunships for many cross border missions and had a very good relationship with CCN, but when the going got sticky it was our gunships that were called for because we delivered a lot more firepower and could stay on station longer. When we got the H Model Huey and Cobra's which could outperform both H-34's and the Marine gunships, then all crossborder ops were handled by Army aircraft.

The Marines were hampered by operational attitudes and lack of aircraft. Operationally because there was very poor organization to what they did. Their gunships started gunruns at 1500 feet, nosebleed altitude for us and if they had an aircraft disappear they might not know about it for an hour or more - this actually happened when an aircraft carrying a general went down and it took an hour for the search to get started. Lack of aircraft because we had more aircraft in our battalion then they had in country. We were appalled at the way they armed their gunships with just the two 60's under the nose and about half as much ammo as we carried. When we were working around LZ Baldy, right on the AO border with the Marines, Marine platoon leaders often requested our radio frequencies because they preferred our support to their own, although they couldn't let the higher ups know.

When the 1st Cav moved into I Corp it was a real eye opener for the Marines. They didn't have any equivalent to our scout teams and our response time was far better then theirs.

Kind of took off on a tangent there, didn't I?

RW

Great info and images guys, many thanks for posting them! (Y)

RW,

you mentioned supporting us around Phan Thiet. I remember that because that was about the furthest south that I got with the 101st. We, Charlie Company of the Oh Deuce, were further up in the mountains around Bao Loc. They [you guys?] brought us in as a blocking force. A and B companies and parts of the 1/327 were already in there. This was Operations Gatling I and II. I remember that the whole thing only lasted a couple of weeks; last part of FEB67-early MAR. Contact was really light. I don't know about everyone else, but C company didn't take any casualties. There just weren't many bad guys in there. We didn't find any caches or anything. The terrain was pretty easy to do S&D in; not too steep, mostly hardwood forest with not alot of undergrowth. It did get cold at night, though. I don't know what they were expecting for us to find in there, but it wasn't there. Our tax dollars at work.

We picked up a bunch of airborne types and hauled them on a very long CA into the mountains, and dropped them off at dusk on a hillside LZ created by blowing trees down with daisycutters. Huge stumps, and I was in an aircraft that was overloaded with a dog and two handlers. The dog would not get out of the aircraft and we were gradually losing power settling closer to the stumps. Sound like the same CA? It was a cold insertion, small favors indeed. It would have been the last week of Feb, 67 because I got shot down on the 22cnd and this was not my aircraft. I think we have some pictures of our aircraft at the Bao Loc tea plantation.

RW

We were originally taken up by Bao Loc in early FEB. We went into a PSP airstrip outside Bao Loc on C-130's then we were ferried out to our LZ's on Hueys and Chinooks. After a couple of weeks up around there, we were taken down towards Phan Thiet around the end of FEB as a blocking force. We were still up in mountains but I think A & B companies and 1/327 were further down in the flats more towards the coast. I think the whole thing ended in early MAR.

Back