Politics The COVID-19 pandemic news and discussion.

Junglejim

Mi Major General
MI.Net Member
TheMess.Net
As you may all know now, there is a new respiratory virus that emerged in China. This virus of the Coronavirus family, named nCoV has infected officialy 440 people and led to 9 death so far.
Issue is that it is getting both international with cases, aside China, in Thailand, South Korea, Hong Kong, Australia and the last case in Seattle USA.
This little bug is less agressive than the former SARS (2003) and the still circulating MERS in the Middle East.
Until two days ago, the medical authorities were not very worried as human to human transmission was considered barely possible.
Well, now, they are sweating a bit (i attended a meeting on another subject and in the discussions, while the infectiologists were confident few days ago, the feeling has made a full U turn) because human to human transmission is proven.
Plus the more human cases you have, the more likely is that the virus mutates to make it easier to pass from people to people.
Given that cases were detected in large population areas (point zero being Wuhan a 14 million inhabitant city and with case in Sydney, Seattle, Bangkok airport, HK, Sanghai and Beijing) it smells a bit bad.
Fortunately mortality is pretty restriced (lower than 2%) but it hits mostly adults (one unconfirmed children case in Philippines).
I will keep the forum informed but so far, it doesn't look very good. It may as well be nothing but better safe than sorry.

Beat your article by a minute, but hopefully the mods can combine it into this one as you are the expert. Interetsing is the child has already been confirmed and under quarantine here in the Philippines. Problem is the rest of the pax and crew of the flight was released. It would be interesting how the airlines here would handle this.

Beat your article by a minute, but hopefully the mods can combine it into this one as you are the expert. Interetsing is the child has already been confirmed and under quarantine here in the Philippines. Problem is the rest of the pax and crew of the flight was released. It would be interesting how the airlines here would handle this.

Here they are looking to introduce new Testing Methods for this Pathogens at all Airports in the next Month so until then it is older testing Methods and old fashioned Vigilance among Cabin Crew - Observing for any the Symptoms on most relevant Routes
Just my Luck I only just got qualified to A330 recently to, Ohwell makes Delhi a less unattractive destination in comparison

Problem is the rest of the pax and crew of the flight was released. It would be interesting how the airlines here would handle this.

That is the biggest problem (as well as all the contact cases of all confirmed patients :i.e people you just crossed and that coughed close to you at the airport, in transports, in store queues ...)

There are probably more than 440 cases. A mathematical model says that with the amount of cases emerging outside China we are closer to 1400-1600 cases. If it is proven, there a lot of case are mild or sub symptomatic and possibly asymptomatic at all. As i said, this bug doesn't seem very agressive so far but the number of cases is going up exponentialy (even with chinese quarantine method) and even if it reaches 2% of mortality, if you hit thousands of people it may get ugly.

Just my Luck I only just got qualified to A330 recently to, Ohwell makes Delhi a less unattractive destination in comparison
"Oh look at me i fly a bigger plane than you"
We dont like your kind over here :p

I think you have more chances of a disease from Delhi than in China
That is the biggest problem (as well as all the contact cases of all confirmed patients :i.e people you just crossed and that coughed close to you at the airport, in transports, in store queues ...)

There are probably more than 440 cases. A mathematical model says that with the amount of cases emerging outside China we are closer to 1400-1600 cases. If it is proven, there a lot of case are mild or sub symptomatic and possibly asymptomatic at all. As i said, this bug doesn't seem very agressive so far but the number of cases is going up exponentialy (even with chinese quarantine method) and even if it reaches 2% of mortality, if you hit thousands of people it may get ugly.
See problem is because of the SARS and N1H1 being mild, most dont care. So the vigiliance is not there yet until it gets serious.

SARS was not really mild, it was just poorly contagious but it killed 774 on 8064 cases so approximatively 10%
Twice what was estimated for the Spanish flu

Well compared to the Spanish flu, those are rookie numbers, tell it to disappear and comeback when it has all its S**t together and get contagious/

I think you have more chances of a disease from Delhi than in China

Delhi is pretty depressing place but if you do not leave the Hotel it is lot easier to deal with ))

Sankt-Peterburg also has two Hospitalized as of this Evening as Doctors look to confirm what is affecting them.
x1 Chinese x1 Russian National
An earlier scare was had at Sheremetevo with a Passenger sick on Flight from Thailand but it appears now was just Gastritis

I thought a Coronavirus would make you buy crappy beer and limes...

Good one especially if that's from you.

Unlike Mordoror the medical field and its technical aspects aren't my forte, so I'll leave that up to him, at last though and as JungleJimbo predicted a whole region of China is on quarantine, for the better. One case reported in the US so hopefully the WHO and the PRC handle the situation the best they can.

Its harder to quarantine outside China given, "we gots rights." Forgetting that rights mean crap whwn theres a potential for a pandemic.

Wuhan I believe is shutting down as a city and thats a big deal considering its Chinese New Year season.

Update on my I end. One of the Captains on my company informed our flight ops that he ordered his flight deck and crew to mask up on the whole flight. Our VP operations replied with "lets not wait for upper management, good call and we already ordered more mask for all the crew."

Love that at this time while other airliners are still thinking about it, our flight ops listened to the concerns and gave the go ahead. Philippine government is evaluating if they should be shutting down all flight to China for the meantime.