Admin Postimg.org down!!

Bombardier

Admin & Arbiter
Staff member
Site Admin
Advertiser
United-Kingdom
Interesting issue we have recently experienced the postimg image hosting service
Certain image links from that site appear to be getting blocked by them ?

The images that do not show have am S9.postimg url
Code:
https://s9.postimg.org/btv56a1cf/1521554247409_1.jpg

The photos that do display have an S10.postimg url 0r higher such as s16 and so on
Code:
https://s10.postimg.org/btv56a1cf/1521554247409_1.jpg

The issue is definately with the postimg server blocking those photos with the s9 prefix.

That said our software should cache any image that is posted permanently and save to our servers. (I will look into what happened there)

It is worth highlighting that MI.Net is an image host too (although only for military related photos) and any images uploaded to our Media area can be shared around the web using the code provided to the right of each image. The code marked as 'Share BB [Gallery] code' can only be used on MI.Net forums and media comments

bb gallery.jpg

I have increased the amount of uploads at any one time from 10 to 20

See the following Help thread on how to create an album and how to batch tag and title your pics
https://www.militaryimages.net/threads/creating-an-album-of-photos.7305/

See this thread titled 'The importance of adding tags'
https://www.militaryimages.net/threads/the-importance-of-adding-tags.5761/

Any photos within media comments or forum threads will not be able to be hotlinked from those posts to any other website or forum, the system blocks them, the only place photos can be shared is from the media galleries.

Last edited:
I have checked other postimg photos on various thread with the s9.postimg url and they are displaying fine so the blocking of these url's must be a recent thing and the issue we had today with a few images posted is likely because our caching system did not get around to those particular photos in time.

The matter with the blocked images has now been resolved and they display ok :)

I think that the issue with postimg.org is that they use many different servers each server having a prefix such as S1, S2 and so on, given the amount of photos they host it is understandable they will have issues from time to time.

Well here is a prime example of the issues Postimg.org are creating on posts

these photo posted in the georgian thread have been corrupted by issues the postimg service are having

Untitled0000.jpg

I will correct this problem on this thread by downloading and uploading the images from postimg to our own servers. Uploading your pics to our servers is by far the best way t upload, but the choice is yours

If it was my choice I would stay clear of that free image host, we have had no such issues with Imgur or other services

Last edited:
These are now all fixed and uploaded to our server :)

Hey Bombardier is this true???

"postimg.ORG domain is locked by Registry, no prior notice.
While we hope to resolve the issue, we chose postimg.CC as our new home.
Please update codes embedded in your websites."

Yes this does seem to be the case and will explain why we had some minor issues yesterday with postimg imgaes.
if you attempt to load postimg website here http://postimg.org/ you get the following message

postimg.jpg

I am not entirely sure if the issue is a permanent one and they seem to be providing an alternate upload area.

After the debacle with Photobucket I decided to employ a Proxy image cache here at MI.Net which means any photo posted here is cached permanently on our servers and it has done a good job in the main however we did lose some photos yesterday which I managed to recover. although those particular images would not show here on MI.Net they were viewable at the postimg website (not anymore) so I simply downloaded them and re uploaded them to our server. The reason we lost a few images is simply because the proxy cache system had not got around to caching them. That said even if image links are broken, for reasons I cannot explain, we still have the images cached and 99% will be recoverable. As time goes by and assuming Postimg is completely Fecked I will repair any broken images from that site, this will of course take time.

How does our image proxy work?
So in layman terms, you upload an image and our server saves the image and displays it on your post. What this means is that you could use any url you like and we will not be using that websites bandwidth to present the image. A permanent copy is saved with us. So if like photobucket they stop allowing free sharing of images we can still display the image, but if like postimg the site goes down completely, the image will show a red x. We can still recover the image from our server and manually upload it to your post.

Free image hosts of the like of postimg, photobucket and others (although Imgur seems stable at this time) are prone to collapse because of their business model, that being they are funded by advertising. Advertising is not going to save any site in this day and age due to ad blocking software freely available. It is a sad reality that sites like theirs can only survive with donations, fees and ads. You might say "Well what about MI.Net" believe me I have pondered on this question for long periods of time. The answer is in my opinion simply that we are a niche website/host and we do not allow unlimited subject matter, I am happy to self fund to a degree and ads do help a little. At this stage of the game all is well and I dont see any major issues moving forward. :)

Now! how do we avoid issues with other potential free image hosts, quite simply upload your photos to either the media section or directly to your threads, it is that simple and will prevent any future headaches for you and work for the admins (me) and mods.

Footnote
Dont worry about any broken postimg image links, I will get them fixed. If you see any posts with a red X it will likely be a postimage photo so if you would be kind enough to report the post to me I will have a nice tidy set of links to take me directly to the affected post.

Last edited:
The fact that they are advising
While we hope to resolve the issue, we chose postimg.CC as our new home.
Please update codes embedded in your websites.
Confirms to me that all links to their previous site will be permanently broken and if I cannot recover photos, some will have to be deleted. This is not good news, please do not use this service, they have proven to be terrible :).

Fixed all broken image links from postimg here
https://www.militaryimages.net/threads/f-22-raptor-f-35-lightning.6315/
https://www.militaryimages.net/threads/georgian-military-photos.6289/
https://www.militaryimages.net/threads/turkish-national-police.7164/ (there were at least 30 I could not recover)
https://www.militaryimages.net/threads/turkish-military-forces-photos.6788/ (some could not be recovered, this is killing me deleting posts)

Last edited:
If any of you finds any broken postimg links please report the post
report.jpg

That way I will have a list with links to where the offending posts are. Thank you :)

TAARB members - You have the luxury of unlimited editing time so if you see fit you can correct the issue

Last edited:
TAARB members - You have the luxury of unlimited editing time so if you see fit you can correct the issue

To assist you with that task if you wish to do it
After clicking the edit button you will see this popup

edit1.jpg

This will provide you with the image links you initially created, as no image was found in the previous page you can delete all these links.
If you have the photos stored on your PC you can simply upload them following the arrow in the pic or paste in new image links from another host. The last image shows you what you will see if you click more options

edit2.jpg

edit 3.jpg

@Bombardier , well done and thanks for all your hard work in recovering lost images and links. A great amount of work by you on behalf of our members and I am sure well appreciated, your blood's worth bottling mate (Y)

BZ

Too kind buddy but my bloods worth bottling?, more likely would be used for pickling :)

Well these people need to get their shizzle sorted , it seems they are back online now after telling everybody to change their embeds?, I wont be using them they are too unpredictable.

At one time I used this site as my back up. But they just basically appear and disappear. I would not use them any longer. Most of the photos I posted there disappear then reappear.... into the internet never-neverland.:confused:

Postimg was quickly back but changed servers and screwed us all on a different forum I’m on back in 2018 when @Bombardier started this thread.

They occasionally pull out this stunt which obscure every old pictures but I’m still sticking to it. If anything, our loss for the lost pics and we can still upload newer ones to new thread from time to time.

Postimg was quickly back but changed servers and screwed us all on a different forum I’m on back in 2018 when @Bombardier started this thread.

They occasionally pull out this stunt which obscure every old pictures but I’m still sticking to it. If anything, our loss for the lost pics and we can still upload newer ones to new thread from time to time.

Just stay away from them..far far away. postimg.org is unreliable. Just use this site or imgur. A few years ago they were looking for $$$ to stay online. I wonder what the trouble is now??