Photos Ottoman Empire During WW1

Correct, the steel helmet was introduced by the Germans in 1916, found this on line - "Germany delivered 5,400 visor-less versions of the M1918 helmet for the Ottoman Empire. The missing front visor was thought by the Germans to be for religious reasons, and it was claimed that it was to allow Turkish soldiers to touch their foreheads to the ground during prayer, without removing their helmets. However, this story has been disputed. The Turks rejected any more than the 5,400 delivered and an unknown number from the overrun were issued to German armed forces and were used by German Freikorps units after the war.

I had not question the main caption written by the original owner of the photo but you guys are seeming to be right.

Last edited:
I had not question the main caption written by the original owner of the photo but you guys are seeming to be right.

The photo is accurate. From military point of view, I have no idea as to why weaker central powers like Ottoman Empire and Austro-Hungarian empire felt the need to send contingents to the theaters well beyond their main fighting arenas. There were KuK units on the Western front (will post photos today) as well as artillery units embedded within the Ottoman forces.

The photo is accurate. From military point of view, I have no idea as to why weaker central powers like Ottoman Empire and Austro-Hungarian empire felt the need to send contingents to the theaters well beyond their main fighting arenas. There were KuK units on the Western front (will post photos today) as well as artillery units embedded within the Ottoman forces.
They cannot have been wearing an item of equipment in 1914 that did not exist until 1916 or if the Model 18 in 1918, thats what our comments are about, as for Ottoman troops serving outside of Turkey it has been documented that they did.

Not directly from the Ottoman Empire, but still related: An Austrian support poster.

War relief for the Turkish troops in Galicia. Remember your Turkish brothers in arms!

Kriegsfürsorge_für_die_türkischen_Truppen_in_Galizien.jpg

, as for Ottoman troops serving outside of Turkey it has been documented that they did.

Stahlhelms have not seen in issue by the Ottoman troops who were served in the mainland Turkey but later limitedly fielded by the first regular army during the Turkish War of Independence in 1919-23. So I assume that these could be bought with the Ottoman Forces retreated from the Arabia campaign or also must issued inside the Turkey without any documentation during the WWI.

Mustafa Kemal and Ismet Inonu Pashas in Eskişehir to meet the French minister Henry Franklin-Bouillon to discuss the terms and condutions of French retreat as a part of the Treaty of Ankara meetings in 1921. You can spot both visorless type M18 and regular M1916 Stahlhelmes being worn.

Hires.jpg

Turkish stromtroopers assembled near the first senate building in Ankara prior to the Great Offensive in 1922

69491231_2507306892689442_4923591663063924736_n (1).jpg

Last edited:
The French submarine "Turquoise" spotted by an Ottoman field battery when she was trying to pass the Dardanelles in November 30 1915 and hit by a gunner named "Müstecip Onbaşı". His shot was damaged the sub's snorkel and force to surface as she captured and taken into active service as the 3rd submarine of the Ottoman Navy after two British Nordenfelts as the name of "Müstecip". However She was later handed over to the French again as the Treaty of Sevres and Ottoman recognition of defeat in 1920.

The snorkel of Turquoise damaged by artillery gun.

müstecip onbaşı 5.jpg

Ottoman gunner Müstecip Onbaşı with his field gun in Gallipoli. The photo is taken shortly after his enagegment with Turquoise.

müstecip onbaşı.jpg

These ones are taken from Istinye Naval Base in Istanbul showing the sub's short service in Ottoman Navy. You can spot the damage on her bridge caused from artillery shells remain unfixed.

müstecip onbaşı.jpg

Müstecip onbaşı3.jpg

Royal Navy submarine HMS E-15 which shared the same fate with French Turquoise in April 16 1915 being inspected by Ottoman forces and newspaper journalistis.

müstecip onbaşı4.jpg

Last edited:
In the middle, fifth from the left, is Mirliva (Major General) Mustafa Kemal (Atatürk). With Ottoman and German officers during World War I.
1697802366615.png