Politics New Zealand launches world's first HIV positive sperm bank

HisRoyalHighness

Mi Captain
MI.Net Member
TheMess.Net
The world’s first HIV positive sperm bank has been launched in an effort to reduce the stigma experienced by those living with the virus.

Sperm Positive has begun with three male donors from across New Zealand who are living with HIV but have an undetectable viral load, meaning the amount of the virus in a person’s blood is so low that it cannot be detected by standard methods.

Although this does not mean the HIV has been cured, it does mean that the treatment is working well and so the virus cannot be passed on – even through sex without a condom or childbirth.

Donor Damien Rule-Neal was diagnosed with HIV in 1999 but was confirmed undetectable after starting treatment some 18 years ago.

I wonder when the first Ebola Blood Banks will pop up, you know, got to fight the stigma and all that jazz.

I wonder when the first Ebola Blood Banks will pop up, you know, got to fight the stigma and all that jazz.
You, guys, sometimes... !!!

No viral detection means technically no risk of transmission. 0. zilch. nada. This is a consensus, worldwide fact known for years (datas from 2011)

A bit more facts and a less more bigotry would be nice.

Funny. All this time I thought disease was something be treated and eradicated. Maybe we also need a sperm bank for achondroplastic dwarves. The possibilities are endless.

That somehow reminds me of a case we have had in France many years ago.

The Infected Blood Scandal began in April 1991 when when it got revealed that the Centre National de Transfusion Sanguine (National Blood Transfusion Center) knowingly distributed blood products contaminated with HIV to haemophiliacs in 1984 and 1985.

Me too. Laurent Fabius was involved somehow. Disgusting what happened then but alas it tend to trigger more conspiracy theories from our own French loonies (Americans invented AIDS/HIV and so forth).

Me too. Laurent Fabius was involved somehow. Disgusting what happened then but alas it tend to trigger more conspiracy theories from our own French loonies (Americans invented AIDS/HIV and so forth).
I don't see the link. The french blood affair was a mix between industrial and political interests to the detriment of the patients. Fabius should have been jailed for that.
Here, we have something that doesn't even have to be discussed from a health pov.
The health practicioners in the field have 8 years of recoil that say that no detectable virus means zero (as in 0.0) risk of contamination to the partner.

AIDS is a shitty disease but the virus is not so efficient at transmission (1000x less than let's say Hepatitis C) and drugs exist that allows to control the infection. Nobody is dying anymore in developped world from AIDS provided you have access to medication and you follow the drug intake protocol ....( which was greatly simplified with the tritherapies)

But in any way, again, no detectable circulating virus means 0 risk of transmission.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m not making a link with the OP either, but Ivan’s post just reminded me of it.

Yup, while AIDS can’t be cured yet, people can live up to being elders unlike in the poorest of Africa back country. Wear a rubber and get tested anyhow.

Anyway, Fabius totally got away with it, you’re right. Just like Jean Tiberi, Benalla, Chirac (Did many missteps too but those affairs? « Pssht »).

Only one that’s been jailed for some weeks now is Balkany... rightly so except curiously for his own voters and inhabitants of Levallois.

I’m not making a link with the OP either, but Ivan’s post just reminded me of it.

Yup, while AIDS can’t be cured yet, people can live up to being elders unlike in the poorest of Africa back country. Wear a rubber and get tested anyhow.

Anyway, Fabius totally got away with it, you’re right. Just like Jean Tiberi, Benalla, Chirac (Did many missteps too but those affairs? « Pssht »).

Only one that’s been jailed for some weeks now is Balkany... rightly so except curiously for his own voters and inhabitants of Levallois.
This is OT but we have a problem in France
Convicted politicians can still run an election once their "time" is over, leaving the voters to decide.
While civil servants at lower levels have to show an empty criminal file to be hired.
Of course, this is trigering defience in the population.

You, guys, sometimes... !!!

No viral detection means technically no risk of transmission. 0. zilch. nada. This is a consensus, worldwide fact known for years (datas from 2011)

A bit more facts and a less more bigotry would be nice.

Not exactly Correct .... An American who was taking Prep ..actually ended up getting HIV ...

True Fact . And are you even aware of those who actually seek out to be HIV ...they are known as BugChasers

True Fact . And are you even aware of those who actually seek out to be HIV ...they are known as BugChasers

Yes, there are whackos on this planet, we all know this. I actually am compassionate to someone fighting depression and a mental illness and therefore struggling to not kill himself but this is totally different.

Are you aware that there are also people looking to be « transabled » hence triggering an accident to be disabled for the « sake » of it. Pointless, bordering criminal and definitely unworthy of getting healthcare/welfare.

Not exactly Correct .... An American who was taking Prep ..actually ended up getting HIV ...

Hush you bigot!

Prep is a pre exposure treatment and it is a different case than the one we are discussing here. Especially because like any drug the way you take before exposure is important.
As such it is not and has never been a 100% safety net.
As for the idiots playing dumb with HIV like barebackers etc, what else to say that they are idiots.
AIDS is not fatal anymore but drugs are not without adverse effects, sometimes nasty

Yes, there are whackos on this planet, we all know this. I actually am compassionate to someone fighting depression and a mental illness and therefore struggling to not kill himself but this is totally different.

Are you aware that there are also people looking to be « transabled » hence triggering an accident to be disabled for the « sake » of it. Pointless, bordering criminal and definitely unworthy of getting healthcare/welfare.
Your making this up...….please confirm.....

I'm not getting into the good bad stupid debate.

Can anyone explain the target recipient market for this service?

sounds like setting up a shop selling insurance write offs, that have been repaired, to me.....

The "transabled" thing is very real. The medical term is Body Integrity Dysphoria.
It is very very real, and gaining in "popularity" due to the, let's say, trend.

But treating that kind of behavior as a mental illness is also considered as a form of bigotry... so... hush.

The "transabled" thing is very real. The medical term is Body Integrity Dysphoria.
It is very very real, and gaining in "popularity" due to the, let's say, trend.

But treating that kind of behavior as a mental illness is also considered as a form of bigotry... so... hush.
Dont talk to me, I'm in my giraffe phase......

I never « make things up ». Look it up it’s sadly pretty real... Ivan replied before I could anyway.

And talking about how to get healthy and/or giving advice to people on how to be healthy is called "ableism".

Which is also a form of bigotry.

So... hush.

Last edited:
Wait, there is someone knocking at my door.....