Politics GOP ,Rep officials ...

Only the Trumpists will like this stalemate, as they equate compromise with treachery. And the radical Democrats will love it, believing it'll help their upcoming campaigns. Everybody else should be pretty pissed, I'd imagine. Most people think politicians don't get stuff done anyhow, so why would they approve of the entire chamber being paralysed?

"Most" Republicans voted for McCarthy even those who are not "Trumpists". Some of the most "Trumpists" ones, like Gaetz and Boebert, were opposed to McCarthy.
Gaetz introduced Jim Jordan on the 2nd round, Chip Roy on the 3rd. Then there was Byron Donalds who also got introduced at some point, who then gave his support to McCarthy. And at some point Gaetz introduced Trump for Speaker of the House.

I think that's Crenshaw who referred to those who didn't vote for McCarthy as terrorists, and he received a lot of backlash for that. Even more so when he tried to backtrack by saying it was a "figure of speech".

I'm not very familiar with Byron Donalds, but the Dems reaction to him being nominated is pretty telling with members of the Squad indirectly calling him a "House N**ger".
Jim Jordan would have been a waste. Sure he would have been a good Speaker, but that's not where he would have been the best and most useful. He also wants to chair the House Judiciary Committee. Considering how invested he is in all the matters pertaining to the accountability of elected and unelected officials, chairing that committee is pretty much the place he is meant to be.

Not sure what the dissenters tried to achieve there, though.
The majority of Republicans voted for McCarthy, just a fringe voted for other candidates. But there was no way the balance of votes would have shifted from McCarthy to any of the other candidates.
All the Dems voted for Jeffries, but since they are the new minority, Hackim would not have won the vote.

Achieving a compromise by electing a candidate designated by both camps could have been a possibility, but it would have been unlikely nonetheless.

Perhaps this was done to send a message to McCarthy and the "Swamp".

Last edited:
Back