Politics German Politics & News

I take it we ought to vote for one of the other parties then, let's see...
No election in recent memory has ever left me with a sourer taste in my mouth. And that's saying something. God knows I loathe Angela Merkel for her immigration policy, but at least she had the acumen to safeguard the economy and fend off some of the other shitstorms that hit e.g. France and Italy with unbridled rage. We're about to miss that woman, and that is a scary thought.

All the candidates of 2021 are woefully inadequate. Their leanings are too close to one another to really deserve the heat they're generating. And never before has a campaign season made more of a concerted effort to downright ignore the challenges the country's facing. Based on what we've seen, one should think that everything's perfect in Germany since the candidates had to invent or inflate second-tier issues.

How about the fact it took us twenty years to build an airport for our capital? No, we need to talk about speed limits!

It's called: play stupid games - win stupid prizes.
Who spent months propping and shielding the Belarussian version of Juan Guaido? Has anyone in EU, Germany including, lifted a single finger to tell Balts and Polaks to stop waging political/diplomatic warfare against Belarus? No. Why? Because "protecting democratic values" is more important than "preventing inter-state conflicts and instability". To the same degree as "protecting human rights worldwide" is more important than "preventing the rise of ghettoed radical Islam in European capitals that directly endangers the lives of all European citizens."

So now that the children screwed up their little game of regime-change, they got bitten in the ass, and now Luka, stronger and more entrenched than ever, will continue to put the pain on them in retaliation, both economically and politically, while the rest of EU has to clean up their mess. But will the EU come out of their closet and say "Actually, Balts F***ed up! We need to find means to rebuild our relationship with Belarus"?
No, of course they won't say that. To them, Belarus that is headed by Lukashenko is now an enemy state. Why? Purely and only because of ideology optics.
Does it somehow benefit EU citizens if EU leaders view and treat Belarus as an enemy? Of course not. Never did, never will. But they will continue doing it. Because muh values.

The main threat to EU are the retarded policies and ideologies of the EU that lead to hostility with their neighbors as well as to the multiple migrant crises and ensuing collateral damage exemplified by terror attacks, rape, and ruined city streets.
Energy deals, economic partnerships, security partnerships, sharing vital intelligence, geopolitical decisions - all of these things in EU are dominated and ruled solely by ideology. Or as I like to call it: brain cancer.

Big whoop if you don't like Lukashenko. But he's not your business, your business is to follow the basic ethics of diplomacy and international relations with all countries, regardless of whether they align with your values or not. Because as liberal democracies, it is your job to ensure a peaceful and pleasant environment for your own citizens. But for now, everything the EU does only sets both its own borders and its own streets on fire. Because muh ideology. The EU is basically doing the same thing to itself what it had already done (with US help) to Libya, Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan. Deep inner instability brought to you by democratic values™

Chechnya and Dagestan are Russian territories, that are inhabited by indigenous Muslims.
What indigenous Muslim territories does the EU have? Well, if the, again, retarded policies and ideologies of EU will persist, soon all of Europe will be classified as indigenously Muslim.

It's really a weird comparison you made there.

may I ask how old you are and where you live?

No election in recent memory has ever left me with a sourer taste in my mouth. And that's saying something. God knows I loathe Angela Merkel for her immigration policy, but at least she had the acumen to safeguard the economy and fend off some of the other shitstorms that hit e.g. France and Italy with unbridled rage. We're about to miss that woman, and that is a scary thought.

All the candidates of 2021 are woefully inadequate. Their leanings are too close to one another to really deserve the heat they're generating. And never before has a campaign season made more of a concerted effort to downright ignore the challenges the country's facing. Based on what we've seen, one should think that everything's perfect in Germany since the candidates had to invent or inflate second-tier issues.

How about the fact it took us twenty years to build an airport for our capital? No, we need to talk about speed limits!
I agree with you almost 100%. Here is where I disagree, Merkel's immigration policy was (to me at least) only the most visible of her screw-ups. Much like George W. Bush she hollowed out her own party, ideologically and in terms of qualified personnel. Just as only Nixon could go to China, only a supposed "conservative" could pursue hardcore red-green policies under the guise of moderation. I just hope the CDU crashes hard enough in this election to politically oust the Merkellians, Merkel herself and all of her lickspittles. Merz (no fan here) has been suspiciously silent, just like you said.

I'll keep my eyes and ears open and will consider voting CDU in the future, provided they actually manage to unfvck themselves.

i just really hope ...and hope dies last, that we dont get RRG or some similar "rote grütze",
and as i went out of the voting booth this morning, i overheard some senior dude say to his wife: "we need some common sense again"
i couldnt agree more

And by the way, CDU and CSU will never get what they deserve, you can't get a negative poll result. Unfortunately. But it seems to be the same old song with all the conservative parties in Europe. Zeitgeist.

Well I voted FDP as always ?

The Merkel years left a lot undone. She is too detached from the modern world. Most pressing issues for me are much needed modernisation efforts and some reformation of the state in general.

Too much old backwardness everywhere. And much too decentralised. Just look at the disaster warning app chaos.

Our state system is not meant to ( but it actually does) feed through hordes of local chiefs which hinder modernisation and streamlining to keep their local power.

Public broadcaster ARD indicates a very tight race:

Party
ARD prognosis, in %
ZDF prognosis, in %
2017 Elections, in %
CDU/CSU
SPD
AfD
FDP
Left
Greens
(6 pm prognoses; missing to 100%: no caucus recognition)

We're headed towards a Belgian post-election boogaloo.

Based on current projections, Red-Red-Green is off the table. That's a relief.

So, the likely outcome will either be SPD-Greens-FDP ("Traffic Lights") under Olaf Scholz, or CDU/CSU-Greens-FDP ("Jamaica") under Armin Laschet. Which one comes out on top will depend on who bends over more for the Greens. Either way, it'll take a long time to form this government.

LOL, you guys should see the CDU right now. They are having a staged celebration with forced smiles and fake applause at their party headquarters. "Yeaaaah, we split our own base years ago and drove even more voters to other parties this time around".

Last edited by a moderator:
The people shown there are mostly party staff, of course they're happy about every seat they've not lost. Why do you care?

I don't really care. I just find it laughable for them to take a beating like that and still try to put on a facade of "yeah we did it!" They basically threw the nation's foreseeable political future to Greens. But I've come to expect zero self awareness and humility from our political elites.

A continuation of the "Grand Coalition", albeit in reverse, has become theoretically possible during the course of the evening. It remains to be seen whether or not the SPD's interest in that form of administration could be rekindled if they're the ones who get to name the chancellor. But I doubt it. The party base leans much more to the left than their candidate. They want "change", whatever that is.
I don't really care. I just find it laughable for them to take a beating like that and still try to put on a facade of "yeah we did it!" They basically threw the nation's foreseeable political future to Greens. But I've come to expect zero self awareness and humility from our political elites.
The lunacy of the people did throw the country to the Greens. The sad fact is you can't govern Germany without the Greens anymore. If SPD and CDU/CSU both hadn't incorporated environmentalist talking points into their programmes, we'd be looking at a Green chancellor tonight.

The success of that wretched party in Germany comes from this country's history of bipartisan environmentalism. For the longest time, German environmentalists actually leaned heavily to the right. The groundwork for this country's strict environment protection laws even came from the Nazis.

Today there are only losers in Germany.

A new GroKo (Coalition in between the CDU-CSU and SPD) will not be tolerated by the SPD leftwing around Esken, Walter Borjahns and little Kevin.

CDU-CSU with the FDP and the SPD, with Scholz as chancellor would be the end for the CDU-CSU, the party would break up. And again the SPD's left wing would block this possibility.

Someone believing in a coalition of CDU-CSU with the Greenies and either the FDP or the SPD is delusional......

The SPD taking the lead and building a coalition with the Greens and the liberals would be a huge risk for all three of them. I can't see how the three positions could be reconciled into a common basis for a workable coalition program.

Germany is the new Belgium!

Our CSV, the Luxusbourg version of the CDU, is 8 years ahead of their German brothers in arms. After Junker was gone the party collapsed, he was as dominant and an effing bleeding heart liberal wanker as Merkel was, and led us onto the same path as "Mutti" did with Germany. Now his party has lost the better part of it's electorate, they do not even have a third rate leadership, no visions and no chance to win back seats for at least twenty years. Just as the CSV the CDU is a walking dead. Both would be better off on Netflix serving as extras to Norman Reedus and his merry bunch.

The lunacy of the people did throw the country to the Greens. The sad fact is you can't govern Germany without the Greens anymore. If SPD and CDU/CSU both hadn't incorporated environmentalist talking points into their programmes, we'd be looking at a Green chancellor tonight.

The success of that wretched party in Germany comes from this country's history of bipartisan environmentalism. For the longest time, German environmentalists actually leaned heavily to the right. The groundwork for this country's strict environment protection laws even came from the Nazis.
You will hear no argument from me on your core point. The problem I see is this, in politics, even if a position is popular, you don't just assume that position for the sake of trying to gain popularity, especially if those positions clash with core values of your traditional electorate.

All the CDU has truly accomplished by appropriating red-green talking points is to strengthen the greens and provide the veneer of moral legitimacy to their ideology, alienating many of their own voters in the process. The AfD is here to stay because the CDU felt like no longer entertaining nationalists, tradcons and the still substantial number of actual xenophobes.

I firmly believe someone like Helmut Kohl would have continued to tell the Greens to eff themselves and would have stuck to ridiculing them and doubling down on conservative and market-liberal policies.

Official result

Party
Results, in %
Seats
2017 Elections, in %
SPD
CDU/CSU
Greens
FDP
AfD
Left¹
SSW²
(missing to 100%: no caucus recognition won)

¹) failed to win caucus recognition, but won some constituencies directly
²) SSW = Südschleswiger Wählerverband/Sydslesvigsk Vaelgerforening, party of the Danish-speaking minority, exempt from caucus recognition clause

Last edited: