End of Civil War

John A Silkstone

Mi General
MI.Net Member
On the 9th April 1865 - Confederate General Robert E. Lee surrendered his army to Union General Ulysses S. Grant at Appomattox Court House in Virginia, ending the Civil War.

The end was when CSA General Kirby Smith surrendered all Confederate forces west of the Mississippi to the the Union on May 26, 1865.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi 03Fox2/1

Both dates can't be right. I get my information from an American history site which I assum to be correct.

Silky

Great grandfather on my wife side, enlisted early 1861, he was at the surrender with Gen. Lee. He was with the 10th ALA.

Fox, I think with Lee's surrender it is considered the end, but as you pointed out it took time for other CSA Generals to surrender.

I think the worse example of the slows in knowledge was in the War of 1812. After the war ended officially, Gen. Jackson engaged British forces in New Orleans. A terrible loss of the British, that should not have happened.

"The Battle of New Orleans took place on January 8, 1815, and was the final major battle of the War of 1812.[1] American forces under General Andrew Jackson defeated an invading British army intent on seizing New Orleans and America's vast western lands. The Treaty of Ghent had been signed on December 24, 1814, but news of the peace would not reach New Orleans until February."

Even in WWII, mop up actions went long after the war end.

Both dates are not correct. There is no argument from me. There is absolutely no merit to the statement that General Lee on April 9, 1865 surrendered to General Grant and thus ended the War Between the States. The Army of Northern Virginia and General Lee did surrender on April 9, 1865 and the loss was great and it did seal the fate of the Confederacy. Neither Grant nor Lee, had the authority or inclination to speak for their respective governments to end the war at Appomattox Court House. Only Abraham Lincoln and Jefferson Davis had the responsibility and authority for such negotiations. The largest surrender of troops was still to come, by General Joe Johnston commanding the Army of Tennessee on April 26, 1865 to Union General Sherman and this also was not the official end to the war. There were scattered small battles by organized units of the Confederate Army all over the South into May of 1865.
Semper Fi

I think you nailed it on the head. No one had the authority to actually surrender for the CSA. The government was off in hiding/disbanded/exile. Each General had to make his own decission.

Wasn't Jeff Davis trying on dresses at the time. A great book is; "The Southerners View of the War" by William Pollard. He was the editor of the richmond Journal during the war. Interesting insights and some arm chair quarterbacking. He did not like J. Davis and blamed him for many faults/problems.

Comment on dresses, because he was captured trying to escaped dressed as a woman. "Whether by accident or design, Davis was wearing his wife's dark gray raglan (a short-sleeved cloak) and black shawl when he was captured."

http://www.civilwarhistory.com/101899/DavisCapture/jefferson_davis_capture.htm

As a Brit I onlyknow what I have read and therefore I would like to thank you both for this further knowledge.

Silky

Silky, Thank you for your civility, much appreciated.
Semper Fi