Exercise Southern Vanguard 23 Final Operation​

Exercise Southern Vanguard 23, Tolemaida Military Base, Colombia on Nov. 14, 2022.
Exercise Southern Vanguard is U.S. Army South's premier training exercise taking place at the operational and tactical levels intended to increase interoperability between the United States and Western Hemisphere forces. This year's iteration, Exercise Southern Vanguard 23, involves Soldiers from U.S. Army South and the U.S. Army National Guard training alongside Colombian Army soldiers in varying terrain while conducting weapon familiarization lanes culminating in a bilateral military training operation

221114-A-AK380-2777.jpg

221114-A-AK380-2787.jpg

221114-A-AK380-2808.jpg

221114-A-AK380-2813.jpg

221114-A-AK380-2818.jpg

Col and USA.jpg

U.S. and Colombian Army Soldiers pose for a photo after the Colombian Army hosted Women's Peace and Security panel discussion held in conjunction with Exercise Southern Vanguard 23 at Tolemaida Military Base, Colombia on Nov. 16, 2022. Women's Peace and Security is a United Nations implemented in 2000 designed to push for the full participation of women in global affairs including peacemaking, conflict prevention and peacebuilding efforts. (U.S. Army photo by Sgt. 1st Class Alan Brutus)

Exercise Southern Vanguard 23 DV Visit​

Gen. Laura Richardson, U.S. Southern Command Commanding General, visits Tolemaida Military Base, Colombia to meet with Colombian Army Maj. Gen. Luis Mauricio Ospina Gutiérrez, Commander of the National Army and visit the Soldiers who took part in Exercise Southern Vanguard 23 on Nov. 15, 2022. Exercise Southern Vanguard is U.S. Army South's premier training exercise taking place at the operational and tactical levels intended to increase interoperability between the United States and Western Hemisphere forces. This year's iteration, Exercise Southern Vanguard 23, involves Soldiers from U.S. Army South and the U.S. Army National Guard training alongside Colombian Army soldiers in varying terrain while conducting weapon familiarization lanes culminating in a bilateral military training operation. (U.S. Army photo by Sgt. 1st Class Alan Brutus)

221115-A-AK380-3276.jpg

221115-A-AK380-2864.jpg

221115-A-AK380-2884.jpg

221115-A-AK380-2905.jpg

221115-A-AK380-2937.jpg

221115-A-AK380-2992.jpg

221115-A-AK380-3042.jpg

221115-A-AK380-3099.jpg

221115-A-AK380-3131.jpg

221115-A-AK380-3246.jpg

221115-A-AK380-3286.jpg

Macron offers to the Colombian President, Gustavo Petro the Rafale fighter for the Colombian Air Force

The French proposal gains momentum after the Colombian president rejects the offer for F16 aircraft, given the limits imposed by the US on its operation

Dassault-Rafale-Fotos-Infodefensa-1.jpg

Full story in Spanish

good morning friends, with this news we woke up today in Colombia, it is clear that the clarification is made that there is NO money and it is not intended to make a budget addition to buy the replacement of the venerable Kfir; In other words: keep looking that you are not going to buy...mil-smile05

I believe Colombia has modified the C.10 to Block 60 standard now

Probably but the issue is that the final lap of life of the venerables Colombian Kfirs will be at the end of 2023. So now the goverment must find the founds to buy almost two squadrons of fighter jets in order to protect the colombian air space. Since the new goverment took power in august the race for a new fighter restarted again. The candidates are the Eurofighter Typhoon, The French Rafale, The Sweden Gripen and the northamerican F-16 Block 70.

Last edited:
Probably but the issue is that the final lap of life of the venerables Colombian Kfirs will be at the end of 2023. So now the goverment must find the founds to buy almost two squadrons of fighter jets in order to protect the colombian air space. Since the new goverment took power in august the race for a new fighter restarted again. The candidates are the Eurofighter Typhoon, The French Rafale, The Sweden Gripen and the northamerican F-16 Block 70.
good morning, cordial greeting, apologies for the pastoral that I will write below, but it is better that you find out what the matter is:
First of all, there is NO money, so they can offer you "the gold and the Moors", but we cannot have any illusions with expensive aircraft.
Second, the little money that there is, it is necessary to make it pay and that the aircraft can be replaced, with this premise, some of the competition are leaving.
Third, would Colombia be able to maintain a twin engine? of course NO, 2 of the competition come out right there.
Fourth, would you be safe when buying an aircraft that is only used in 3 air forces officially and a fourth (or fifth) that have it leased? I would think more than twice before making the decision.
Finally, although it is true that Sweden has offered technology transfer if its product is purchased, does Colombia have the infrastructure or the money to install it and thus be able to assemble (assemble, yes gentlemen) the aircraft? Of course NO, if the investment is made, the money allocated to the aircraft would only remain in the assembly plant and ZERO aircraft...and not to mention the restrictions on the use of the aircraft, the lack of availability of components, the TOTAL change of the logistics line, in addition to learning a new language, since it is better to receive instruction in the native language...
In that order of ideas, I, as a personal opinion, would prefer a commercial aircraft, which I think makes up 30% of the fighter fleet worldwide, from which I can obtain spare parts, technical assistance, maintenance, weapons, almost in 30 different countries, I am going to be interoperable with NATO and other air forces that use it, if we used common sense, the serious decision would be F-16 in a not very old block to allow us to update ourselves and be able to continue using Kfir weapons with the help of Israel.
Thank you very much for your attention and apologies for such a long text.

^^ While I think the Gripen would be a good aircraft for Colombia, the logistics simply are too much to take the risk.

F-16 is the best fit for you guys and of course it's always better to buy the latest F-16V Block 70 but it is possible to buy Block 50+ aircraft second hand if needed. Turkey can even update them for you! ;)

^^ While I think the Gripen would be a good aircraft for Colombia, the logistics simply are too much to take the risk.

F-16 is the best fit for you guys and of course it's always better to buy the latest F-16V Block 70 but it is possible to buy Block 50+ aircraft second hand if needed. Turkey can even update them for you! ;)

This is a long term discussion in different military forums. As I said since the new leftis goverment took power in August the campaign of the offered planes has been very strong. this have been told to me by a friend of mine who works in the Central Command of the Colombian Air Force. So then we have the example of the Swedish Company of SAAB and their offert the JAS-39 Gripen. All of us that we know a little bit of military Aviation can tell that the best choice could be the Gripen, but the logisitics as @BravoZulu said could make impossible the contract acquisition. and then the Lockheed Martin F-16 offert will be perfect to fit the needs of the Colombian Air Force. But we all know that this "Political" desition has been delayed for several years by the last two presidential goverments, and the real issue here is that the venerable KFIRS of the Colombian Air Force will end their service life at the end of 2023. And now the new leftist goverment probably will not go for the northamerican F-16 offert. It is true that a twin engine fighter offert for Colombia is a no go option, but any how the French President has make it to the Colombian President.

There are also rumors that the South Koreans has offered the FA-50 to Colombia. At the end I must agree that there are not real money for this big investment. Some people said that the contract with Lockheed Martin will cost between two or four BILLIONS with B of us dollars. thats a Huge politcal capital for any goverment in office in this days.

Finally, the big loser of all this will be the Colombian air force and the national airspace, which will be left without real protection from an adequate combat fighter.