Politics Brexit news & British Politics

Personally I think if Scotland left the UK it would be a crying shame and would not be a simple deal even if that is what is voted for. We only have to look at Brexit as an example of how difficult things can get when leaving a union. Still I am a believer in democracy and if that is what the Scottish people vote for then that is certainly what they should have.

Sorry slightly off topic but I did quote Brexit :)
had the UK/Cameron delivered on the Vow Nicola Sturgeon wouldn't have a leg to stand on like near federalism/Devo Max and to many believed the lead us not leave us we know how that went ... David Cameron blew on the 19th of September just like he blew it with Brexit.

currency most likely the Scottish pound as our banks have been printing them for over a hundred years

the Spanish veto myth
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Germany

what will be a problem is NATO membership to be a NATO member NATO will demand Trident remains at Faslane it will be at Faslane for a Maximum of 4 years then it will have to be removed ... Scotland is not just against Nukes but all forms of nuclear technology

UK also needs Scotland to recognise the rUK as the successor of the former UK to retain it's seat in the permanent security council in the UN like Ukraine did for Russia when the former Soviet Union broke up

the biggest problem will be untangling the Scottish economy from the Uk economy as the bulk of our exports leave from England that will have to change and more air routes opened to Scottish airports

i'm a pragmatists my hope is if we leave we leave on good terms and be good neighbours instead of disgruntled partners and we will have to own our mistakes instead of blaming England all the time

my great Grandfather was English he came to Glasgow to work in the shipyards when he was 18, Percy Wilkinson you can't get more English than that and 1 of my brother in laws is Cornish (not a Cornish Nationalist a proud Englishman)

i'm not Anti English and as Black Cat will agree i even wished England well during the World cup

a real life 'muppet' show(Y)

Larry for PM?

With both main parties on a downward slope I'm going to guess the BBC will take the opportunity to pressure them even more . I mean , I wonder what their going to talk about for an hour or so ? Education , health , defence or the B word ?

Always interesting perspective by Steve Bannon.

It does seem strange to me that the SNP who fight for independence from one Union are so hell bent on being part of another, I agree @colin traveller it does seem like independence is not the real fight but rather a union with anybody but the UK.

It does seem strange to me that the SNP who fight for independence from one Union are so hell bent on being part of another, I agree @colin traveller it does seem like independence is not the real fight but rather a union with anybody but the UK.
within the UK we control 30% of our powers/laws etc London controls 67% and EU 3% we leave the UK Scotland controls 97% nobody can force us to have nuclear weapons near our largest city or London can't threaten to remove our parliament, we 'll have a vote in the EU, a shot of running it for 6 months every 14 years, 17 seats in the EU parliament compared to 6 ... have a seat on the UN that's the benefits of remaining in the EU as a independent country that and have our maritime boundaries properly defended and patrolled ... Scottish armed forces will be a defence force with one mission goal defend Scottish soil/airspace and maritime boundary it will take over 25 years to build our armed forces to the level we acquire of it

in my 49 years Scotland has never voted for the Conservative party for 35 years i've had to live with a government Scotland rejects at the ballot box everytime ... that's the democratic deficit of the UK, England decides who governs the rest of the country ... Scotland and England has diverged politically since WW2 we are incompatible unlike Wales

It is a good point you make about control and i am not trying to suggest it will all be bad, simply because I don't really know enough about it to do so.
I guess the Scottish people will decide when the time comes and I hope they make the right decision.

It is a good point you make about control and i am not trying to suggest it will all be bad, simply because I don't really know enough about it to do so.
I guess the Scottish people will decide when the time comes and I hope they make the right decision.
The thing is the SNP are not the original nationalists in Scotland Labour were ... Labour keep saying they are the party of Keir Hardie yet Labour was founded by two Scottish home rulers Keir Hardie and Robert Cunninghame Graham who was born in England and went on to found the SNP in 1932.

In 1914 the Scottish home rule bill was blocked like the Irish home rule bill due to the outbreak of WW1 and wasn't rekindled until Labour got in power in the mid 1920s which was voted down with the help of English and Welsh labour MPs, this enraged RCG who saw it as a betrayal by the party he and his best friend Hardie had founded 4 decades earlier and went on to help found the SNP and had Hardie been alive at the time he would also would have been one of the founding fathers of the SNP ... the truth is the SNP are the party of Keir Hardie his family votes SNP .... these are some of the underlying reasons Labour hate the SNP ... The SNP are what the Labour party was supposed to be they betrayed the legacy of there founding fathers

Hardie's first campaign leaflet look where home rule is

_85562388_keir_hardie_gettyone.jpg

.. Scottish armed forces will be a defence force with one mission goal defend Scottish soil/airspace and maritime boundary it will take over 25 years to build our armed forces to the level we acquire of it

Just my gut feeling, but it sounds like the Scottish populace would have no stomach to spend on a serious defense force even after 25 years.

if you don't deliver on your promises that won the referendum then you should have no qualm of a another referendum plus the Vow broke the Edinburgh Agreement
only thing that will be broke is Scotland - its broke already to be honest as SNP could not run a *iss up in a distillery:rolleyes:

Just my gut feeling, but it sounds like the Scottish populace would have no stomach to spend on a serious defense force even after 25 years.
Blue and White face paint does not make an army

Just swap one not so malevolent overlord (England) for one which is malevolent (Fourth Reich EU)- once they are gone we won't be having them back

The EU would welcome Scotland joining the club. It's the biggest oil producer in Europe even before Norway (non-EU), and as long as there's no fully sustainable energy solution, cheap oil will always be a thing.

The EU would welcome Scotland joining the club. It's the biggest oil producer in Europe even before Norway (non-EU), and as long as there's no fully sustainable energy solution, cheap oil will always be a thing.

It's far more complicated than that fish&chips . Like way way more complicated . Straight off the bat the 2% max GDP deficit rules should Scotland adopt the euro . If not interest rates on an adoptive currency would make it not viable . Of course we have to take into account the emotional element , but from a purely numbers point of view very tough to implement .

It's not like any member country is obliged to join the Eurozone from scratch. If the fulfilments are met, then a country shall adopt the Euro, but so far this has not been enforced time-wise. Sweden for example has deliberately not fulfilled the entry requirements in the past just to keep its own currency. So an EU-Scotland could well use the Scottish Pound for an indefinite time being.

Then Scotland has to use its own currency , then it has to borrow at a higher rate . Lenders are not going to give a brand new currency secured against an independent unknown triple a status . This is the main issue that came up in the first indyref . Don't get me wrong , Nicola's right what she's doing . If the SNP max out Scotland and the lib Dems pick up 60/80 MPs then this will create a blocking group to the ERG . From the SNPs point of view they could be in a much stronger position than they currently are . As for indyref 2 , I just don't see it .

As for indyref 2 , I just don't see it .
And they need Westminster approval for an Indyref2 - its not going to happen

No second vote on Brexit, no second vote for the Jock's

Scotland is like having a tick stuck to you that you put up with

And they need Westminster approval for an Indyref2 - its not going to happen

No second vote on Brexit, no second vote for the Jock's

Scotland is like having a tick stuck to you that you put up with

They could offer an indyref2 vote as a condition for any future coalition but I think this could leave them isolated depending on how the cards fall at the next election . It is hard to predict at the moment how the vote will go with labour ( risk of loosing the northern/Welsh de industrialised heartlands ) and Tories ( Brexit party) in trouble . I guess you ve just got to look at France where the FN are your main opposition to power with no obvious challenger to that mantle . You could nt have predicted that 10 years ago .