Intro A brief intro and hello

OldGuy

Mi Captain
MI.Net Member
United-States
Hello to all the members, hope to spend some time here and enjoy the content. I have a lot to share after 5 years in the Army 58 years ago. Started out as 11B infantry and then to C/1st 506th/101st. Later re enlisted and went to Dallas Fort Worth Air Defense Nike Hercules stationed at D-50 Alvarado Texas as a missile crewman. 14 months later Nike Hercules was beginning to shut down Nation Wide and I moved onto Vietnam where I got a chance to choose what I wanted to do, since they broke my re enlistment contract by sending me to Vietnam when I should have gone to Germany where the Nike remained in service. My orders actually had me going to a Hawk missile battery off the coast of South Vietnam. With so many Nike People roaming around and no where to go they did not need me... of course ;0) I chose aviation and was assigned to the 1st Aviation Brigade/164th Group/13th Bn/336th Assault Helicopter, Soc Trang South Vietnam. Lastly after the first year I walked down the runway to the sister company and spent two more years with 121st Assault Helicopter who had arrived as the 93rd Transportation from Fort Carson Colo. I was a door gunner on a UH-1 A,B and C. Nice to meet all of you...

Thank you glad to be here, it is getting very hard to find any Veteran social forums, especially related to the conflict in Indo China. Seems to be no shortage of wars even in our shortening life.

There are probably some active groups on social medias re veteran stuff but personally while I am on those social networks I’d rather keep quiet there. We’re better off here on a forum to discuss all things war/history and military related.

Fair warning: some of us get fairly obnoxious in Political threads including me, but otherwise it’s a fine home you’ve found here.

Greetings from Idaho. And, I don't think we had any Nike batteries here.

Thoughts on a topic: Do our missile silo fields need point defense. I saw a picture the other day which showed a Russian truck mounted battery supposedly parked near a missile silo location.

There are probably some active groups on social medias re veteran stuff but personally while I am on those social networks I’d rather keep quiet there. We’re better off here on a forum to discuss all things war/history and military related.

Fair warning: some of us get fairly obnoxious in Political threads including me, but otherwise it’s a fine home you’ve found here.
Facebook said I did not meet their community standards. I guess probably because I worked since I was 15, served my country and left a decent Human Being. Of course who knows who dreamed up that scripted message.