Vacation Bombardiers vacation 2023

Bombardier

Admin & Arbiter
Staff member
Site Admin
Advertiser
United-Kingdom
I will be visiting the Greek islands in early August

My wife and are I taking a short cruise visiting Heraklion in Crete, Thira in Santorini, Piraeus, Kefalonia and one stop in Kusadasi Turkey.

We are really looking forward to it and I will share some of my somewhat amateur photography on my return.

If anybody has visited these locations and has any good tips regarding things to see or equally avoid I would be happy to hear them :)

I absolutely loved Crete overall @Bombardier and if a cruise trip I understand you won’t be staying long in Heraklion.

However this city was a bit of a let down as compared to Rethymnon, which is further West and much more beautiful and interesting. Agios Nicholaos and Matala beach were great too, but also require renting a car or some excursion and I dunno if it’s in your plans.

There’s still a fortress to visit in Heraklion, if you have the time and don’t go there like well organized me on a Tuesday to find closed doors. 🙄

The fortress in question close enough to the city centre and within walking distance:

a8145e4d-e73f-4c04-9c9d-759cb1e4b0fe.jpg

Aside from that, Heraklion remain a relatively big city of about 200k inhabitants where you and your better half/family will find anything you want, shopping or restaurants wise.

Sunblock and hydration! My niece ended up in urgent care at a Greek clinic after a day visit to Delphi, where she ignored her parents' attempts to get her to hydrate and wear sunscreen!

Of course, I'm sure you already know to do those precautions!

I honeymooned in cephalonia. There was a memorial to a massacre by the Germans that I found quite interesting. I think it was the basis for the film Captain Correllis Mandolin.

The mellasani cave was good also. Fiskardo was nice, but this was nearly 20 year ago mate.

Santorini is beautiful if you want to see the postcard motive with the blue roof houses you have to go to Oia. But the port of Fira is also nice.

Also: Enjoy the food! (Little envy here but I'll go to our local Taverna the next days as Ersatz ;) )