On this day Aug 7th 1970

OldGuy

Mi Captain
MI.Net Member
United-States
I arrived home in Houston after 5 years in the Army, I'll post it now because I would probably forget to do it if I wait 2 days. I really had an exceptional 5 years and everything I did while in the Army was actually fun. I went thru basic training right here in La about 75 miles west of me, then I was onto Infantry training at Fort Ord and then back this way to Fort Benning Ga for Jump School. I finished Jump School and on to Fort Campbell Ky and the Charlie 1st/506th/101st. I wasn't there long and boarded a plane to West Point with a few others advance party. It was a long standing tradition since WW II to send units of the 101st to West Point to help on the training ranges. I arrived at the large camp north of the main post up in the trees in 66 but today they have renewed so much land I don't recognize anything. I was there one night and the first sergeant ask me if I wanted to be attached for the summer with the artillery unit that came with us. I said sure that's fine with me. I spent the entire summer doing nothing and sleeping on the top floor of the Provost Marshals Office, which happened to be the visitor barracks for sports teams that were playing against Army. Nice big beautiful patio outside the hallway and you could walk out and look across the Hudson and the old Football stadium which I think they kept as a historical site because there appears to be a stadium there. You can't fly over the base of course and can only photo from a distance by air. I met some great people while there. I got to know one of the main gate guards and he hooked me up on a double date in New Jersey with a nice little girl, her name was Jeannie Wolfe who would much later become a journalist for PBS. We went to a large club well known at the time named the Trade Winds. It is no longer there and I think a restaurant is now sitting on the property. I have this problem with time relation and just recently started truly understanding that I am very much older now and most of the people I knew then are long gone. I hate to forget a name and seem to be losing a lot of those names as I haven't spoken them in such a long time. ;(

It sounds like you had a memorable and eventful experience during your time in the Army. It's great to hear that you enjoyed your service and had fun throughout your various training and assignments. The opportunity to travel to different locations and meet new people can create lasting memories.

An album here that gets little traffic on the host since I don't facebook any longer. I was a bad boy and called a muslim a raghead and was banned. Must have been a muslim thumbing through past post from 6 years. ;0)

Back