Other Post Tony Abela, ex-RAF (Malta) and AFM

Tony Abela

Mi Recruit
MI.Net Member
With Reference to Radar at Tas il-Qammiegh, In my opinion this information is not correct as the British did not have any Radars at this point. from all the research I done regards British Radars in Malta , this site was never found in the Records. As far as I know, way back during the Cold War, the U.S. had a Station there and its purpose was to track satellites. Maybe one can research the Maltese Archives for a map of the site before the 1960s, as I suspect that there were no structures then.

With Reference to Radar at Tas il-Qammiegh, In my opinion this information is not correct as the British did not have any Radars at this point. from all the research I done regards British Radars in Malta , this site was never found in the Records. As far as I know, way back during the Cold War, the U.S. had a Station there and its purpose was to track satellites. Maybe one can research the Maltese Archives for a map of the site before the 1960s, as I suspect that there were no structures then.
Can you point me in the direction of the post you are referencing mate?;)

Think this is one of a set of pics @Tony Abela is referring to

I cant see any reference to @28th61st referring to them as British though, its just a general album

Here is the full album
Excellent work there @Bombardier (Y)

We made no reference as to who was stationed at this setting. One reference, in a travel guide, referred to it as "a derelict NATO Radar station" but this was not referred to in our photographs.
We have also found the following -
"An abandoned Radar Station at the tip of Ras il- Qammieh in Mellieha, originally built in the late 1960's as a USAF Tropospheric Scatter communications station to facilitate their radio communications between Italy and Libya."

Last edited:
Back